encountering problems RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows XP Pro SP 3. I have microsoft money plus deluxe version 17.0.120.3817. When I try to enter a withdrawal I get the error message money has encountered a problem and needs to close. It doesn't happen all the time but very frequently. What can I do?

Thanks

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 6:43 PM

All replies

• The simplest thing you can do is to try:

File>Repair Money File> Quick File Repair

and see if that helps.  It won't do any harm and you may get lucky and fix the problem.

If that doesn't help. I would next try re-installing Money.  This is a straightforward process and, again, you may get lucky and find that the problem has gone away.

If neither of those things helps, there are a couple of more troublesome options.  You can do a more extensive file repair:

File>Repair Money File> Standard File Repair

But be aware that this will reset any customized reports that you may have.  Re-creating them could be a big hassle.

If that does not help, or if you don't want to deal with loosing your customized reports, you can try restoring a backup.  This requires that you have a backup that dates to before the problem occurred.  I would try restoring that backup to see if the problem occurs with the restored file.  Be sure to restore the backup to a new file, say Test.mny, and then experiment with entering withdrawals in that file.  If all goes well, then you will know that you have a good backup and you can restore it as your working Money file.   Then you can update that file it with any missing transactions.  That won't be practical if your backup is so old that there are many transactions to enter.

Finally, is Money the only program that is misbehaving?  If you are seeing other odd behavior then it could be that there is a problem with your XP software installation (malware, corrupted system file) or your computer hardware, - e.g. an intermittent disk failure.

Post back and let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:02 AM