WHS Indexing not running RRS feed

• Question

• I am running windows home server with a desktop and a laptop, both running windows 7. On the desktop, every time I tried to add the WHS share folders to my library (music/video/photos), it gives an error saying that the location is not indexed. On the laptop, all the music/video/photo shared folders are already there, but there's a warning message saying "Some library features are unavailable due to unsupported library locations." Both of these seems to suggest that the indexing in WHS is not running/functioning.

I remote login to the WHS box using remote terminal, and found that: Windows Search 4.0 is installed, the search box is also visible on the bottom of the screen. However, when I tried to search for something, it complains that "Windows Search is not running"

When I go to control panel-> indexing, all the options are greyed out and the status says : "Indexing not running"

My question is this: Is this normal ? WHat do I need to do to get indexing back running ?

THANKS !!!

Sunday, June 6, 2010 10:19 PM

All replies

• I am running windows home server with a desktop and a laptop, both running windows 7. On the desktop, every time I tried to add the WHS share folders to my library (music/video/photos), it gives an error saying that the location is not indexed. On the laptop, all the music/video/photo shared folders are already there, but there's a warning message saying "Some library features are unavailable due to unsupported library locations." Both of these seems to suggest that the indexing in WHS is not running/functioning.

I remote login to the WHS box using remote terminal, and found that: Windows Search 4.0 is installed, the search box is also visible on the bottom of the screen. However, when I tried to search for something, it complains that "Windows Search is not running"

When I go to control panel-> indexing, all the options are greyed out and the status says : "Indexing not running"

My question is this: Is this normal ? WHat do I need to do to get indexing back running ?

THANKS !!!

First, you could try rebooting the server.  If that doesn't work, you could try starting the service manually through Services.  If that doesn't work, you could try uninstalling both Search 4.0 and PP3 from the server desktop, rebooting, then installing PP3 (which automatically includes Search 4.0) again.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:27 AM