Visual Studio 2010 Dataset Tab Greyed out RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was adding the Ajax Control Toolkit to my IDE and somehow it kept telling me that I already had a tab called Ajax Control Tookit. Eventually I decided that I would Reset the toolbox. This turned out to be a big mistake as I lost my Dataset tab under the Data section.  I tried clicking choose items, but the dataset option was already selected. I rebooted the machine, still not dataset tab.  Then I unchecked dataset from the .Net Framework Components, rebooted again, went back in and checked it. This time it added the Dataset tab back to the Data tab, but it is greyed out. I am downloading service pack 1 for Visual Studio 2010 and hope that helps restore the data tab, but I get the feeling that it won't. This is a computer at work, and I am supposed to have something ready later today and so far have lost 5 hours and getting a bit nervous.

I tried searching on the web, but nothing seemed helpful, so I am reporting the issue in this forum in hope that somebody can tell me how to get the dataset tab back.

Thanks very much,

Jack

• Moved by Andrew.Wu Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:06 AM (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:17 AM

All replies

• I agree that installing SP1 will probably not fix your issue.

Do you have access to the VS 2010 distribution media? You may need it for Repair/Reinstall.

In Control Panel, select Programs and Features. Find VS 2010 in the installed programs list and select Uninstall/Change to invoke the VS installer. In the resulting dialog (Maintenance Mode), select Reinstall/Repair.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Hi Jack,

Would you please let me know the project type you areusing? Is it Windows Forms, ASP.NET or others?

I have checked this in my system, and the Dataset tab is gray in a ASP.NET project, while in a Windows Forms project, it could be used normally.

Would you please check this in your system?

Waiting to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, March 25, 2011 10:05 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Any updates? Have your problem been resolved? If you are developing ASP.NET applications, you can post this issue in the ASP.NET Installation and Setup forum: http://forums.asp.net/17.aspx/1?Installation+and+Setup

If there are any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, March 28, 2011 2:57 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Since you do not post back and this is not a Visual Studio IDE issue, I'm going to move your post to the Off-topic forum. If this problem still exists, you can get more advice in the ASP.NET Installation and Setup froum: http://forums.asp.net/17.aspx/1?Installation+and+Setup

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:05 AM