Advice and or instructions on adding a SATA card RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for advice. My home server will need more storage soon.

Currently it is using (4) 1-gig SATA drives. And I have (2) 1.5-gig SATA drives I could add. The dilemma is that the mainboard has no more available SATA ports.

Ideally I was thinking about adding a PCI or PCIe SATA card to add more ports. That would allow me to add the two drives for a total of 7-gigs.

So was wondering if there are reasons not to use this option. Would I run into OS limitations? Are there down-sides to using a SATA card to add ports in WHS?

And if there are no reasons not to go this route, is there any advice on how to go about doing this? It works great now so I am quite hesitant to muck with my WHS. I try to stay away from the physical box as much as possible for fear of breaking the setup or losing data.

Anyone out there have any advice or instructions to offer?

Thanks,

Monday, April 26, 2010 12:46 PM

All replies

• SATA is a good way to go.  Just check the SATA card you are interested in at least has drivers for Windows XP.   Alternatively you could consider an external enclosure that bundles a Multi-Lane SATA Card with it:

http://mswhs.com/2010/04/22/sans-digital-towerraid-tr5ut-b-review/

Though you might be paying more than a unit that doesn't include built in RAID.

--
    Monday, April 26, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Loondaw

I was in the same situation about a year ago and found this at Newegg and it has been a TRUE PNP (Plug-n-Play) experience for me.  The down side of this card is it only has 2ea. Sata ports and 1 IDE.  For me though that was enough.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132009&

jd

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 2:40 PM
  • I have had no problem with SIL sata cards. The last one I bought it port multiplier aware with two external ports. So potentially I could run each port to a 5 port multiplier.
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 6:34 PM