Importing *.3ds models into 3D solar system mode (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• Jake Vanderplas posted on 01-25-2011 5:57 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to emulate the ISS tour that jonathan set up.  I've not found any documentation on importing 3D models. 

I've found the layers manager, added a new reference frame in orbit around the earth layer, and added my 3D model (in 3ds format).  It appears in the layer manager: I can adjust its properties and lifetime.  There's one problem: I can't see my model!  If it's there, I can't find it!  What am I doing wrong?  Is there any tutorial available on adding 3D layers?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:08 PM

Answers

• PeterTurcan replied on 01-27-2011 12:28 PM

Jake

You are not doing anything wrong. The layer manager and importing 3d models is a work in rprogress and the issue you raise is one of the current missing features.

You can locate a 3d model by scaling it enormously. Locating it visually. Then scaling it back down. Hardly a great solution I know but its a workaround for now.

All replies

• PeterTurcan replied on 01-27-2011 12:28 PM

Jake

You are not doing anything wrong. The layer manager and importing 3d models is a work in rprogress and the issue you raise is one of the current missing features.

You can locate a 3d model by scaling it enormously. Locating it visually. Then scaling it back down. Hardly a great solution I know but its a workaround for now.

• Currently You can't attach the camera to a orbiting reference frame, and space is really big, so its very hard to see a 120 meter object from 200000 meters away.

In a coming release we will ad tracking of referece frams so you can find your model in deep space.

A trick is with the orbit lines on, you should be able to find your model and the front of the orbit.

Jonathan

Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:10 PM