Remote Desktop won't connect (timeout) since upgrade to Win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using WHS since release to connect to my home office desktop when I am on the road. The desktop was running Vista Ultimate, but I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate last week. Since then I am unable to connect to my Windows 7 Ultimate machine using remote desktop.

Windows 7 is configured to allow connections from any version of remote desktop (although I tried both settings; they don't work) and the Windows 7 firewall is set to allow remote desktop connections as well (it also doesn't work with firewall turned off completely).

I can log into the WHS machine and go through the dialog to connect to my desktop, but I always timeout.

Nothing has changed on the WHS machine, my router or my internet service.

Any ideas?
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 8:55 AM

Answers

• Kane,

Here are a few shots in the dark.  If you could post more details it would help.  Are you :

Double check your IP settings.  Just for ____ and giggles.  You added a new machine and didn't say whether you are static, dynamic / w/ dhcp reservations.

Second is permissions.  If you are using a different password or username you may not have been added to the allowed users for remote access.  It sounds like you can't get initial connection to log in though so if that is the case disregard.

Third  are you using wireless?  If you are I recommend a router reboot because older routers tend to act squirrely with me when they run for weeks on end without a reboot.

Fourth  Windows 7 has home and public firewalls.  I turn both of mine off but I have a firewall on my router that I configure.

If none of these work can you post a more detailed network diagram (written is fine it doesn't have to be a drawing).
    • Marked as answer by Kanebra06 Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:34 PM
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:17 AM

All replies

• Kane,

Here are a few shots in the dark.  If you could post more details it would help.  Are you :

Double check your IP settings.  Just for ____ and giggles.  You added a new machine and didn't say whether you are static, dynamic / w/ dhcp reservations.

Second is permissions.  If you are using a different password or username you may not have been added to the allowed users for remote access.  It sounds like you can't get initial connection to log in though so if that is the case disregard.

Third  are you using wireless?  If you are I recommend a router reboot because older routers tend to act squirrely with me when they run for weeks on end without a reboot.

Fourth  Windows 7 has home and public firewalls.  I turn both of mine off but I have a firewall on my router that I configure.

If none of these work can you post a more detailed network diagram (written is fine it doesn't have to be a drawing).
    • Marked as answer by Kanebra06 Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:34 PM
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:17 AM
  • I have been using WHS since release to connect to my home office desktop when I am on the road. The desktop was running Vista Ultimate, but I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate last week. Since then I am unable to connect to my Windows 7 Ultimate machine using remote desktop.

Windows 7 is configured to allow connections from any version of remote desktop (although I tried both settings; they don't work) and the Windows 7 firewall is set to allow remote desktop connections as well (it also doesn't work with firewall turned off completely).

I can log into the WHS machine and go through the dialog to connect to my desktop, but I always timeout.

Nothing has changed on the WHS machine, my router or my internet service.

Any ideas?
    I assume all of this was using the Remote Access website?  If so, are you able to directly connect to your Win7 client from another PC in your LAN (not using the Remote Access website)?
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Kane,

Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate you taking the time.

The new machine (well, same machine, just new OS; Win 7) recieves its IP from the DHCP reservations list on the router; the IP in the reservations list and the LAN connection details on the desktop PC match.

The username and password are identical to the one I used before.

The desktop in question uses wired LAN to connect, but I sometimes use wireless when usign the laptop in different parts of the house/office. Even though I rebooted the router after installing Windows 7, it didn't work. This time, I rebooted the router again anyway as you suggested and now I at least get to the Windows 7 Ultimate desktop login page.

However, it won't accept my credentials, so now I have a new problem.

I will reboot the client and see if that helps.

Thanks again for your reply.

Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:28 PM
  • Thank you very much for your reply.  As you guessed, the problem is only with Remote Access website.

Yes, I am able to access the desktop via the LAN directly (using the same credentials noted above) with no problems.

After rebooting the router, I can now get to the Win 7 Ultimate login page, but it won't accept my credentials (which it will when accessed from the LAN).

Thanks again for your reply.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:30 PM
  • Rebooting the client seemed to have worked. I was able to access the desktop from two different machines via remote acess. Thank you very much all.

Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:34 PM