Licensing? What do I need for the following? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A friend has seen my demo OCS setup & has asked me to help his small company.

Ideally - he would like OCS connectivity to the outside world - for voice conferences & Instant Messenger.  In order to estimate costs for him - I need to understand what licenses need to be in place.  Can someone clarify what server licenses I need in place for the following:

- OCS Standard Server (one Windows 2008 server standard license & one OCS server standard license)

- OCS Mediation Server (one Windows 2008 Server Standard license & one OCS server standard license)

- OCS Edge Server (one Windows 2008 Server Standard license & one OCS server standard license)

Is that right - I need 3 Windows server licences & 3 OCS server licenses to achieve this?

What about outside voice conferencing (I think that service is included in the Enterprise OCS CAL) & public IM (I think this is an extra license?).

Regards

Paul
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:23 PM

Answers

• Paul,

For the server licensing, you would actually only need 2 OCS licenses. The Mediation server does not need its own license since it falls into the category of non-core "Additional Software". You only need OCS licenses for your Front End and Edge servers.

- OCS Standard Server (one Windows 2008 server standard license & one OCS server standard license)

- OCS Mediation Server (one Windows 2008 Server Standard license, OCS license not needed )

- OCS Edge Server (one Windows 2008 Server Standard license & one OCS server standard license)

You will need both a Standard AND and Enterprise CAL for each user, in addition to Office Communicator. Public IM is also licensed separately.

So if you want ALL the features for each user, you need OCS Standard CAL, OCS Enterprise CAL, Communicator, and PIC license.

Regards,

Jamie Schwinn
    • Marked as answer by Paul Adams Monday, May 11, 2009 7:49 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:29 PM

All replies

• Paul,

For the server licensing, you would actually only need 2 OCS licenses. The Mediation server does not need its own license since it falls into the category of non-core "Additional Software". You only need OCS licenses for your Front End and Edge servers.

- OCS Mediation Server (one Windows 2008 Server Standard license, OCS license not needed )

You will need both a Standard AND and Enterprise CAL for each user, in addition to Office Communicator. Public IM is also licensed separately.

So if you want ALL the features for each user, you need OCS Standard CAL, OCS Enterprise CAL, Communicator, and PIC license.

Regards,

Jamie Schwinn
    • Marked as answer by Paul Adams Monday, May 11, 2009 7:49 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:29 PM
  • That is not what the Microsoft Product Use Rights document states.  Here is what is says in regards to licensing this server (underlines mine):

I)     Assigning the License to the Server.

a)    Before you run any instance of the server software under a software license, you must assign that license to one of your servers.  That server is the licensed server for that particular license.  You may assign other software licenses to the same server, but you may not assign the same license to more than one server. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate server.

b)    You may reassign a software license, but not on a short-term basis (i.e., not within 90 days of the last assignment).  You may reassign a software license sooner if you retire the licensed server due to permanent hardware failure.  If you reassign a license, the server to which you reassign the license becomes the new licensed server for that license.

When there is a licensing question, you should always refer to Microsoft legal documents for confirmation.  The Product Use Rights document can be found at this web site: http://www.microsoftvolumelicensing.com/userights/PUR.aspx

I hope this helps.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 6:50 PM