Suggestions for OneCare development team (2) RRS feed

• General discussion

• I decided to use OneCare because I was fed up with the intrusive and overbearing nature of McAfee and Norton. I’ve used the trial OneCare for a while now and I like it thus far.  I would hope that OneCare would not follow in the footsteps of the competitor products and become an all-omniscient big brother.

- Provide easy on/off switches for all features, such as tune up.

- Include the Phishing settings controls in the centralized Settings (tabbed) dialog window (so to have all controls accessible from one location. That is, don’t follow in the foot steps of Vista where related controls are spread out all over the place).

- Don’t nag the user with pop ups or balloons to say some feature has been turned off (by the user).  The color change of the taskbar icon should be sufficient.

- Provide more detailed controls on the Tune-up features. I don’t want any software to be deleting “unnecessary files” from my machine.

- The concept of OneCare Circle is introducing unnecessary complications, especially for a home environment.  Individuals in a home setting want autonomy of operation and settings.  One problem with the OneCare Circle may be that there isn’t sufficient information to tell a user what its implications are. What happens if I set one PC to be a hub PC (I don’t want realtime dependencies between my machines)? Does the hub PC need to be running for the other PC to perform certain functions?  What functionality might be missing on the client machines if the hub PC is not available.  As a home user, I don’t want to have to think about all these complications – all I need to know is that any one of my computers is independently protected and configured ( a statement to that effect in the Help will be reassuring).

- Under the Virus and Spyware settings, Exclusions, the Excluded Files dialog box is not size adjustable, making difficult to see what folders or files are included in the list if the path is too long (going off to the right edge of the dialog box with ellipses).

Overall, OneCare is nice.  Thank you.

Monday, May 25, 2009 2:01 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the feedback. You have offered some excellent suggestions, however I don't anticipate any changes to One Care since the announcement was made to discontinue it - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/ebe7e8de-c7a2-41c7-9072-24d3a2bc04ec
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Monday, May 25, 2009 3:45 PM
  • aa12234aa,

You've basically described a few of the core reasons that sales and support for OneCare will be ending over the next few months to year and will instead be replaced with an anti-malware only product code named 'Morro'.  By dropping virtually all of the additional features of OneCare it will immediately loose much of the complexity and even what little additional overhead these features helped to create.

Some of the other comments you made might also be implemented in the new product, since Microsoft has also drastically reduced things like ballon/pop-up notifications in the new Windows 7 to reduce user confusion, so it's likely the same will be true of Morro.  Also there likely won't be any Tune-Up or other maintenance utilities in Morro, since the newer Vista and Windows 7 operating systems include many of these automated features inherently and they already operate silently in the background.

Since nearly all of these controls already exist in the newer OS, it's really not necessary to provide additional control panels, since the user can just access them directly in the scheduler if they wish to change them.  I doubt we'll see much improvement in these features on the Windows XP platform though, since that OS is at end of mainstream support, so only critical security updates will be provided in the future with no real attempt to bring any of these other features back to this outdated platform.

The clue here is that for improved security and maintenance, the best move will be to upgrade the operating system, either with a Windows upgrade for a recent PC or when buying a new PC insuring that it includes a new OS.  Since Morro itself will be free, the money that would have been spent to purchase a OneCare subscription could be used instead to purchase the OS upgrade.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:43 AM
  • Thank you all for the feedback. I didn't know OneCare is being discontinued.  Just when users get used to something, it gets changed.  I can't help to think that most of the recent Microsoft changes are only for the sake of change.  That's the way I feel about Vista and that's why I just bought a new laptop with Windows XP on it.  Based on what I read about Windows 7, I'm not too sure about it yet.  Back to the current topic:  I'll have to wait to see what Morro is like and if it stays around long enough to even bother with it - free or not.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 10:29 PM
  • What you need to understand is that OneCare was designed at a time when Windows XP was the only consumer operating system in wide release.  That is no longer true and in fact Windows XP just recently ended its Mainstream Support phase and entered the Extended Support phase, during which only Critical Windows Updates will be supplied.  Since the XP OS is already about 9 years old and suffering badly from a security standpoint, it's really no longer an effective or safe operating system for the consumer.

The early problems with Vista were primarily the result of a lack of good driver support by PC manufacturers, which are now largely gone.  I experienced these myself on a laptop until I finally removed all of the extra software provided by that vendor and the laptop has now been completely stable for over a year.  However, since Vista was never really optimized to run on older hardware and thus sometimes 'broke' things with both older hardware and software as well as operated with lower performance than XP, it got a bad reputation.  I've personally had stable operation even on an old 1.5GHz, 512MB PC, though again the performance hasn't been great.

With the Windows 7 release due this October, some of these performance issues have been improved, though at this point there's probably much less really old hardware to be concerned about anyway.  Any PC with at least a 2GHz single core processor and 1GB RAM or better typically ran even Vista quite effectively, and that describes most systems that have been sold over the last 3 years or so.  Any of these should simply run Windows 7 even better as well as gain the other improvements in security, simplicity of configuration and other features that it provides.

The funny thing is that people will pay $20-$50/year or more for security packages and spend hours maintaining them to keep Windows XP only partially secure, when for only two or three times this much they could simply upgrade the operating system and gain both better security and the many other features this provides.  The free Morro anti-malware will simply make this more obvious, since when combined with either the Windows Vista or Win 7 OS it will be much more effective security than anything you can do with Windows XP short of disconnecting it entirely from the Internet.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:01 AM