locked
Can't access shares RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

         I have a home built server w/ a (wired) desktop and a (wireless) laptop that's been running about a month. I got a bigger primary HD and did a server reinstall. Everything is working fine except that the desktop can not access the shares on the server. All is fine on the laptop and the desktop can connect via the console, remote desktop, internet and backup but when I try to access shares from it i get "cannot connect to \\server\public (or any other share).

        I enabled the "Guest" user thinkng that would allow anyone access and all that happened was the message changed to "cannot connect to drive or network connection". I have rebooted multiple times, deleted and recreated the user account and reinstalled the connector software.

        Seems like it has to be a permissions problem of some kind. What else can I try?

     

    Ad

    Monday, January 14, 2008 4:27 AM

Answers

  • Thanks for talking to me ferp...explaining the problem focused my attention and I solved it. User-error <grin>

     

    When I first set this up a month ago I had problems w/ my ISP blocking ports and created a LMHost file to point to my server. I switched to Quest (so my gateway address changed) and never deleted that host file. I don't know why it worked then but apparantly reinstalling WHS picked up the error.

     

    One of the reasons that I got WHS in the first place was to learn something new....and I am!

     

    Something else for those who may be following this thread: I don't think that backing up the system disk for restoring in the future will ever work. At one point in this ordeal, I tried putting the original (functioning) HD back in to see if it still worked. It didn't! Putting it back just one day later gave it fits. It kept finding fatal errors and asking to be rebooted. After about 4-5 reboots I gave up and marked that HD available for other uses.

     

    Thanks again, ferp....forums are mighty useful places.

    Monday, January 14, 2008 5:20 PM

All replies

  • " I have rebooted multiple times"

    Sorry if this is an obvious question, but have you rebooted both the server and the clients after reinstalling the connectore s/ware?  Worth a go, if not.

    Has anything else changed on the desktop in terms of the software installed on it? 

    Does the server have the same name?
    Monday, January 14, 2008 3:43 PM
  •     Yeah, both machines...an old computer hand...when in doubt ...reboot.  Nothing changed on the client machine, I just replaced the server HD & reinstalled. So I couldn't see how it could be a problem on the client. So this morning I hooked the laptop by cable to the router to rule that out (it works OK) and installed ToolKit on the bad client. Everything is green checks until it gets to permission check and then I get an error

     

    Reading files of SMB path \\SERVER\Software failed with exception The network path was not found.

         And an error "NetRemote Tod Error" but the time display on both the client & server are the same. In the log file here's the only serious error

     

    <test name="SMBAccess" title="Check SMB read permissions">
      <result name="status">Error</result>
      <result name="message">The network path was not found.</result>
      <result name="win32Error">2</result>

    I've got file & printer sharing on and proxy settings off in IE7. So...it's not a WHS problem at all, but a network problem on that specific client?

     

    Ad

    Monday, January 14, 2008 4:35 PM
  • Do you run a fixed IP on the server?  If so, is it the same as before?

    If the IP has changed, could Windows Firewall (or some other firewall) be blocking access to the new IP?

    ps. rather a good post on diagnosing network issues:

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html
    Monday, January 14, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Thanks for talking to me ferp...explaining the problem focused my attention and I solved it. User-error <grin>

     

    When I first set this up a month ago I had problems w/ my ISP blocking ports and created a LMHost file to point to my server. I switched to Quest (so my gateway address changed) and never deleted that host file. I don't know why it worked then but apparantly reinstalling WHS picked up the error.

     

    One of the reasons that I got WHS in the first place was to learn something new....and I am!

     

    Something else for those who may be following this thread: I don't think that backing up the system disk for restoring in the future will ever work. At one point in this ordeal, I tried putting the original (functioning) HD back in to see if it still worked. It didn't! Putting it back just one day later gave it fits. It kept finding fatal errors and asking to be rebooted. After about 4-5 reboots I gave up and marked that HD available for other uses.

     

    Thanks again, ferp....forums are mighty useful places.

    Monday, January 14, 2008 5:20 PM