Previous Versions RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 7 Ultimate and a WHS, when I right click a file and select previous versions tab all I get is "There are no previous versions available" am I missing somthing?

Josh Van Den Wildenberg, MCP IT Continuity LLP
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:01 PM

Answers

• Ok after working on this, I used RDP to connect and then shadow copie was turned off on the d drive. Turned that on and there we go.

Why is that not set by default??
    Because of this.

VSS doesn't "play nicely" with Drive Extender. There's a workaround here, but it's just that, a somewhat annoying manual workaround.

And to forestall the obvious next quesiton, Microsoft has not announced a timeline for the correction of this issue. I doubt that they will correct it at all, however. Based on what I know of Previous Versions and Drive Extender, there is no way to integrate the two without a complete rewrite of one or the other. And maybe not even then, as Drive Extender introduces the additional wrinkle of needing to synchronize your shadow copies across multiple drives.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:03 PM

All replies

• Ok after working on this, I used RDP to connect and then shadow copie was turned off on the d drive. Turned that on and there we go.

Josh
    Josh Van Den Wildenberg, MCP IT Continuity LLP
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:18 PM

Because of this.

VSS doesn't "play nicely" with Drive Extender. There's a workaround here, but it's just that, a somewhat annoying manual workaround.

And to forestall the obvious next quesiton, Microsoft has not announced a timeline for the correction of this issue. I doubt that they will correct it at all, however. Based on what I know of Previous Versions and Drive Extender, there is no way to integrate the two without a complete rewrite of one or the other. And maybe not even then, as Drive Extender introduces the additional wrinkle of needing to synchronize your shadow copies across multiple drives.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:03 PM