Are my files save or not? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I haver used amn extrernal hqrd drive as my location for backing uo files from three computers using the Back Up Plan with Windows Live One Care. The hub PC has had to go and be repaired but they want to do a complete system reinstall, losing all data from that particular PC. I have plugged the external hard drive into another PC and tried to check that the files are there so I can tell PC world to go ahed with the reinstall on the main PC. When I open the external hard drive using Explorer, the folders in Windows Live Care Back Up are visible but I can't access any of them - 'Access is denied' and  Properties show that each folder is empty and contains no files or folders. The Properties for the External Hard drive itself show abot 86gb, which is around what I should have backed up.

I have a lot of music and photos on the PC that is being repaired that I don't want to lose (my two children were both born in the last 18 months and all pictures from birth onwards are on there!), but I am reluctant to tell PC worrld to go ahead with the repair unless I am 100% sure that they are backed up on the external hard drive and until I can see them on there I don'tc want to. Can somebody tell me if the fact that the folders in the Live One Care folder on the external hard drive show as empty is a idiosyncracy of the software or are the files that I thought I backed up really not there?

Many thanks, Mark
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:52 AM

Answers

• The One Care backups are hidden and protected. The backups are there. You can view them by selecting a custom restore on another computer in your circle then selecting files from another computer, select the backups from the PC that is going to be reformatted, then restore the files to a folder on your desktop.

Jim
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:32 PM