Server backup drive automatically reformatted or backup files destroyed...by WHS 2011! RRS feed

• Question

• I setup a new Seagate 2TB USB 3.0 drive as my server backup drive. I manually kicked off a backup, and it took most of the day to complete. That was expected, as there was 900GB of data to backup, including the client backup database. On the next server backup, it completes in about 3-minutes, as no data had changed. On the following backup, it took 3-hours to complete, which was shocking as no backup data really had changed. The server backup size went up like 100MB. I have noticed this before, where a backup would take hours-upon-hours, yet nothing had really changed in the data that was being backed up. Either it was thinking hard on what had changed, or it had issues writing to the destination backup drive. Either way, I saw nothing in the log files.

This morning another automatic backup starts running. When I look at the backup drive, I am shocked to see that it is pretty much empty! WHS is starting the backup pretty much from scratch!! What the heck happened to my backup data? I see nothing in the log files that indicate why the backup database on the external drive was blown away.

Any ideas what happened, or where I can look to see what happened? More importantly, how do I prevent it from happening again??!!

Friday, November 4, 2011 7:02 PM