Time to save project increasing in Project server 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Project server 2007.  Over the last couple months the time it takes to save a project in Project server 2007 has increased significantly from 20 seconds to over 300 seconds.  There are no event log errors and all SQL maintenance jobs are running successfully.  Does anyone have any ideas where I should look to solve this?

Thank you for your help.

Greg

Greg
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 8:42 PM

Answers

• Hello Greg2007

I could be a million things for starters. I have seen similar this scenario and it can be many things.  I found that it usually is related to security.  Some process is waiting for something and it becomes slow. 

Or it can be Friday and hundreds of people are updating their timesheets.

Are you watching the performance monitor and seeing if the processor is overloaded?

Also, is the memory available?  Is is swapping out memory.

Is the disk drive 90% utilized.  This could cause issues.

Are the Project Server queues stuck?

As you can see, there are many unrelated events that can caused project server to perform slowly.  You must look in other areas.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:06 PM
  • in addition to Michael's comments I would really pay attention to the queue and more importantly to the performance of the SQL tier (CPU, RAM and disk IO) to identify the bottleneck.
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:55 PM
  • Finally, one last perspective: This can also be caused by issues in the plan data. It may be that you have a badly constructed plan, you're liking logic is odd, or you are doing things like assigning resources to summary tasks or leaving blank lines in your projects that can inadvertently become blank tasks and blank summary tasks. These types of bad practices can lead to poor performance, and is a likely culprit if you see it happening on one plan only.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 12:10 PM

All replies

• Hello Greg2007

I could be a million things for starters. I have seen similar this scenario and it can be many things.  I found that it usually is related to security.  Some process is waiting for something and it becomes slow. 

Or it can be Friday and hundreds of people are updating their timesheets.

Are you watching the performance monitor and seeing if the processor is overloaded?

Also, is the memory available?  Is is swapping out memory.

Is the disk drive 90% utilized.  This could cause issues.

Are the Project Server queues stuck?

As you can see, there are many unrelated events that can caused project server to perform slowly.  You must look in other areas.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:06 PM
  • in addition to Michael's comments I would really pay attention to the queue and more importantly to the performance of the SQL tier (CPU, RAM and disk IO) to identify the bottleneck.
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:55 PM
  • Finally, one last perspective: This can also be caused by issues in the plan data. It may be that you have a badly constructed plan, you're liking logic is odd, or you are doing things like assigning resources to summary tasks or leaving blank lines in your projects that can inadvertently become blank tasks and blank summary tasks. These types of bad practices can lead to poor performance, and is a likely culprit if you see it happening on one plan only.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 12:10 PM
  • All of the above - and also to be able to pinpoint the issue a definition of what you mean by 'save' would be useful.  From the client point of view 'save' could just mean getting it back on the server.  But you could also include the time spent in the queue to take the 'saved' plan and populate the various tables - and you may even be including 'publish' in your timings.  Increased complexity in the plan, and particularly long running plans with high numbers of assignments and complex contours can increase the publish time.

Best regards,

Brian.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 8:36 PM
  • And in addition, SQL Maintenance plans?
    HTH, Ben [MVP]
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:45 PM