none
I have a Fujitsu Primergy TX100 S2 RRS feed

• Question

•  I am having trouble getting WHS 2011 to install on my machine it gives me options for MS Server 2003 to SBS Business Essentials but not for WHS 2011. I used the software that came with the machine to prepare it for the OS but again the is no option for WHS 2011. What can I do to get over this, I find it frustrating.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:07 PM

All replies

• Prep it for Windows Server 2008 R2; that's the base OS for Windows Home Server 2011.

Note, however, that Windows Home Server will want to repartition the system drive; if you have any data on that drive right now you will need to back it up if you care about it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:09 PM
  • Thanks, I will try that:)
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:13 PM
  • I have the same unit (fujitsu primergy tx100 s2). Don't bother with the serverview software. You'll have to use the DVD when you manually install the LAN driver, but otherwise its worthless.

You will also have to go into the BIOS to disable RAID. Neither fujitsu nor intel provide WHS drivers.

Once you take these steps, you should be able to install using the WHS DVD.

Travis

• Edited by 7ravis Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:45 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:43 AM
  • >use the DVD when you manually install the LAN driver

How do you manually install appropriate LAN driver from the DVD?

I cannot find an instruction.

I've got the same machine and installed Win7 successfully except for LAN driver.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:02 AM
  • When the setup stalls and throws up a window complaining there's no LAN driver, insert your serverview DVD1.

Browse to (your DVD drive letter):\DRV\LAN\INTEL\Pro1000158\x64W2K8R2. The specific driver file is e1k62x64.

This is the one I'm using, so it should be correct, but if it doesn't work, try the other drivers in that folder.

There are similar drivers in the other \Pro???\x64W2K8R2 folders also.

Travis

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:15 PM
  • I have the same server but haven't been able to install the OS. I downloaded the 6 month trial of Windows SBS 2011 Essentials...the system doesn't recognize the disc, any suggestions?  

Thanks I've never configured a real server OS.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:34 PM
  • ...the system doesn't recognize the disc...
    Kind of suggests a faulty disk (since you downloaded it, you burned it to disk yourself, so try burning a new disk) or faulty optical drive. Failing that, you might want to see if you can successfully install Windows Server 2008 R2.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Ken, Yes I thought about that but was stumped because the image that downloaded as the trial was an ISO image/file(I thought that was the standard format)...very large 4.6 gigs. Possibly there is a special driver that must open the ISO image/file. I was wondering if Serverview had that? And since there is no OS on the machine, how do I load an ISO launcher? I've not has experience with an ISO file.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:16 PM
  • ...I've not has experience with an ISO file.

Umm.

This forum is a really bad place to get a basic education in this sort of thing. Windows Home Server, and other products built on the same code base, are "system builder" products. System builder products are not designed to be installed and configured by an average consumer; they assume a fairly high level of technical competence in a number of areas.

I suggest you start here for more about .iso files, then move on to Google if things aren't clear.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Thanks for the pointers. I did google ISO and found similar links as you pointed me to... but since I saw others were having issues with installing WHS 2011 on the same machine, I figured I was at least installing a somewhat similar OS. And I'm not a consumer, I manage our internal network of over 20 computers so I know where the on button is. My apologies if this is below everyone else pay grade on this forum or a waste of your/their time.  Most forums do have a variety of skill levels depending the problem...and since I have a a deficiency in understanding my problem I thought it might be a good place to start.
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:43 PM
  • Tomas,

SBS 2011 essentials IS a fujitsu supported OS. Once you get the .iso properly rendered (burned) to DVD, you should be able to install using the serverview software. Run "installation manager" and follow the instructions.

You might also be able to get tech support from fujitsu. start here http://solutions.us.fujitsu.com/www/content/support/server_storage_support/index.php 

Travis

P.s. serverview does not have an .iso burner

Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:19 PM
  • I think you misunderstand me a bit. There were a couple of points I was trying to make. One point is that using a disk image (a .iso file) to create a bootable disk is only related to Windows Home Server in that Microsoft uses that format as a way of letting people download certain Microsoft products, for certain uses. There's a general presumption that, if you know enough to download it in the first place, you also know enough to burn it properly.

Another point is that the #1 search result for "iso file" on Google (at this instant; it could change in an hour) is to that article I linked, which gives you plenty of information to figure out what to do with a .iso file. I'm kind of in favor of folks doing their own extremely obvious searches, so (for good or ill) I'm more likely to link to a "Let Me Google That For You" search, rather than a direct link to a specific search result.

As Travis has pointed out, what you want to install on your Fujitsu box is fully supported by Fujitsu. They should be a good resource for the actual installation, so they are who I would probably turn to first.

Finally, note that there is almost certainly a time bomb built into the product downloaded that will eventually disable that product completely, probably shortly after the end of the evaluation period. If it's there, this time bomb can't be disabled or circumvented, so entering a different product key to convert to fully licensed is not possible.

So:

• Don't commit a significant amount of data to your evaluation software, because there is no graceful path from evaluation to fully licensed.
    • Bear in mind that Microsoft actually prohibits (in the EULA) the use of eval software in production. This is partly to protect revenue, but it's also because when the time bomb goes off and the software stops working, the end user is responsible for any data loss.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:34 PM
  • Travis,

Great post!!! I just hope that everyone that is installing Microsoft Home Server on a Fujitsu Primergy TX100 S2 finds your post. Because you nailed it on the head!!! Once I disabled RAID (I chose the AHCI mode) the WHS 2011 install would start and like clockwork the setup stalled and throwed the window you said it would saying there was no LAN driver. Then I used the ServerView DVD-1 and went striate to the folder you said and bam there it went. Thanks so much again, this worked great!!!

Rick

Sunday, March 18, 2012 4:14 AM
  • ServerView won't work but a standard install will if you have the right raid drivers.  I was digging around the Fujitsu site and did finally find one that worked.  Just finished the install now with the raid working.  Battery died on the machine i used to find the drivers so I don't have the link but will try to post it later if anyone needs it.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:27 AM