none
Sync Toy duplicate files during sync RRS feed

• Question

•  

During the sync process, I'm having a problem with duplicate files being created.  For example, I have a folder on my C drive for My Documents that is being duplicated as My Documents\MyDocuments so the file is twice as large as it should be.  We've tried deleting the files on the C drive and the backup drive, but the file comes back again.

Any ideas?

Monday, January 26, 2009 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hi KathyO,

From your folder pairs, I cannot see a reason to cause a "My Document\My Document" folder hierarchy. But they can cause same files on "c:\QB current files" and "c:\QB payrool only files" to be synced under "c:\client document files\QB current files" and "c:\client document files\QB payroll only files". If it is the issue that you talk about, you have the solution already. Please try below steps:

1. delete the "c:\client document files\QB current files" and "c:\client document files\QB payroll only files" directories

2. remove the first folder pair, and re-create a new folder pair as "c:\client document files" <-> "s:\kathy\client document files".

3. sync the new folder pair.

Please let me know if it doesn't work for you.

Thanks,
    Dong

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:06 AM

All replies

• Hi KathyO,

If you deleted the files from both the original location and the backup drive, they should not come back. Are you sure that these files do not exist on your PC anymore? I guess that you have multiple SyncToy folderPairs, and they may not setup correctly. Can you share all your FolderPair setting? Please include the folder paths for each folder pair.

Thanks,
    Dong

Monday, January 26, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Thanks Dong,

here's what I have and maybe you can tell me what you think might be the problem.  I'm so frustrated right now with this, knowing that it shouldn't be this difficult.

I have 3 folder pairs that I am trying to sync between my C and S drives

On my S drive, there are 2 folders one for me and one for my office asst Liz

the folder pairs are --

Client Documents

C:\client document files   to S:\Kathy

KO Current QB Files

C:\QB current files    to S:\Kathy\QB files current KO

QB Payroll only files

C:\QB payroll only files    to S:\Kathy\QBPayroll only files

Now, I just realized that the first pair are going only to S:\Kathy  On my S drive, all the individual client document files are there, but no folder.  If I add the client document file folder on my S drive, do you think that will solve the problem?

I think I'm onto something here. 

thanks for your help

Monday, January 26, 2009 8:46 PM
  • Hi KathyO,

From your folder pairs, I cannot see a reason to cause a "My Document\My Document" folder hierarchy. But they can cause same files on "c:\QB current files" and "c:\QB payrool only files" to be synced under "c:\client document files\QB current files" and "c:\client document files\QB payroll only files". If it is the issue that you talk about, you have the solution already. Please try below steps:

1. delete the "c:\client document files\QB current files" and "c:\client document files\QB payroll only files" directories

2. remove the first folder pair, and re-create a new folder pair as "c:\client document files" <-> "s:\kathy\client document files".

3. sync the new folder pair.

Please let me know if it doesn't work for you.

Thanks,
    Dong

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:06 AM
  • I use a programme to delete duplicate files, which is called Clone Remover. [URL="http://www.fileutilityblog.com/archives/71"]How to choose a good duplicate file finder?[/URL] To my mind the main thing is efficiency of it. It must do its job. That's why I clean my PC with the help of such one
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 6:11 PM