SATA Optical Drive (Supported?) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have just installed a new SATA optical into my WHS (the old IDE one failed) it now only gets to the updating ESCD and then says success but then just sits there, any ideas?
    The SATA optical is connected to a RAID PCI card as there are no slots left on my MOBO for one.
    Thanks as always guys/gals
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

SATA Optical drives are known for not playing well with particular SATA Chipsets.  You should dig around on the internet to find out which chipset your drive is compatible with.

Also I would try swapping one of the drives on the motherboard (not the system drive) to the PCI Card and connecting the Optical Drive to the motherboard. 

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    • Marked as answer by Tiberium Saturday, February 27, 2010 10:22 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

SATA Optical drives are known for not playing well with particular SATA Chipsets.  You should dig around on the internet to find out which chipset your drive is compatible with.

Also I would try swapping one of the drives on the motherboard (not the system drive) to the PCI Card and connecting the Optical Drive to the motherboard. 

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:15 AM
    The SATA optical is connected to a RAID PCI card as there are no slots left on my MOBO for one.
    Start by trying to connect it to a standard SATA port, rather than a RAID port. Or buy a new IDE drive, or leave the drive out (since you really don't need it).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Unmarked as answer by Tiberium Saturday, February 27, 2010 10:22 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:14 PM