Still trying to remove WLID RRS feed

• Question

• I Have tried all the instructions and I still get the message "Your Windows live ID was not removed, Please try again."  I have updated to the sunset version I think.  The about MSmoney says Microsoft money plus home & business, Version 17.0.150.3817.  I believe I have all the auto updates off.  I could not find the tools-settings flag? for my version.

How can I get rid of the WLID password?  I have tried doing it offline also.  I get the same try again message.

Thanks for the help

Saturday, January 22, 2011 5:27 PM

All replies

• What instructions did you try? Do you know the credentials in effect when
    saved you Money file or your backup file.

Why did you create a new thread with your same question? Why not respond on that thread?

Sunday, January 23, 2011 5:27 AM
  • Sorry about the thread mix up, I am not an experienced forum user.

I am not sure what you mean by "credentials in effect".  I know the WLID password, and can open the .mny file that I regularly use.

Here is what I have tried so far:

• Opened MS money home and business .mny file, signed in with my current windows live ID password.  The program opens fine. 
    • From the file menu click Password manager, click the Remove button, Select "I want to remove my Windows Live Id from my Money file." option and click next.
    • a pop up dialog comes up and says "Your Windows live ID (e-mail address and password) was not removed.  Please try again."  I press the OK button and that is it.  I have tried this again and again with the same result.  I have done this same procedure disconnected from the net with the same results.
    • I also went to Manage online services and made sure no services were active.  Under the service column they are either blank or say none.

I had not used Windows live online for a long time.  When I tried to log on to post on this forum, the login and password I have used in Money did not work.  I resigned up the account with the exact same email and password that is currently on my Money file.  This allowed me to post here, but it did not help me to remove WLID from my Money file.

I hope this is a complete enough description for you to determine what I may be missing.

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Cal,

Some more information.  I do not have this option on my settings list Tools->Settings->ReceiveAccountUpdatesFromMsnMoneyMyAccounts.  I have gone through all the ones I do have to make sure all the on line stuff is off.

Also, I do not think I am logging on to the Window online live network when I open my money file.  I that OK, not even sure how to make it log online.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Sunday, January 23, 2011 5:05 PM
  • It is good that you are able to get into your Money file. If you had  Tools->Settings->ReceiveAccountUpdatesFromMsnMoneyMyAccounts, it would be the first in the list.

What you want to do is to disconnect from the internet. Pull the ethernet line, turn off your router, or turn off your modem... what ever it takes. Start Money. Sign in offline. Then try to remove your LiveID (WLID). If that does not work, we can discuss file repair.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 7:26 PM
  • I disconnected the internet by turning off the wifi on my laptop.  I verified that I had no internet access.  I then logged into Money exactly the same as when on line.  There was no difference.  Money opened just fine.  I tried to remove the password the same as before, and got the exact same message "Your Windows live ID (e-mail address and password) was not removed.  Please try again." 

I do not think that I am logging on to MS live on line when I start Money, even when the internet is on.  I think this, because I have been using Money for months with the WLID not working when I tried to log in on the MS web site.  I resently reset up the on line WLID to access this forum.

What can I try next?

Monday, January 24, 2011 5:58 PM
  • What can I try next?

Good description. Here is what I would try next (while disconnected from the internet , just in case)

If using Vista or Windows 7, start Money by right-clicking the Money launch icon, and choose RunAsAdministrator. Attempt removing the LiveID.

Make a repaired version of your file as described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466/en-us for a Level 2 (Standard)  repair.

Monday, January 24, 2011 6:18 PM
  • Hi Cal,

I went through all the steps as specified in the repair document for a level 2 standard repair.  After pressing begin repair, the status bar moved three bars to the right, then gave a pop up window with the error "The utility could not repair your file. Repair a different version of our file, restore a backup file, or re-install Money.  You should also make sure your file is not saved as read-only. (0x800a144e)".  The error log said "No broken records in the original file."  I was then exited out of Money.  This was all done while my computer was disconnected from the net.

I tried doing the level 1 first, then level 2, but no difference, same error.

I am running windows 7 operating system, if that matters.

What next?

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 6:00 AM
  • Standard repair using Money Plus Sunset does not work? That is very worrisome. It is unlikely to make a difference, but you could try a quick file repair and then the standard repair.

Consider QIF export and then import into a new file. Now if you are not wanting to do that, you could save out a complete set of QIF files every few months just in case something goes wrong. Keep those appropriately named QIF files in a safe place. Then if your dodgy Money file becomes unusable, then you would have the QIF files to feed into a new file. Better would be to create the new file with the QIF imports now. You can run both files in parallel for a while.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 6:10 AM
  • So I have made a new file and loaded the acounts I need into the new file from seperate QIF exports.  I use MSMoney to generate invoices for my business.  The invoices are stored in an asset account.  The QIF export tool does not list that account for export.  Any ideas how to move my invoices over to the new file?  The QIF exporter say's it will export asset accounts, but then that account does not apear in the list.

Thanks

Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:09 AM
  • I don't know about invoices. Maybe somebody will have some help for you on that. You might consider just printing out the old ones to a "PDF printer" if you can't find a better method of extracting the info.

I assume that when doing the PDF inports, you will follow the bit about importing the files all at once. That allows Money to detect transfers.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 4:30 AM