Search by Date RRS feed

• Question

• Search is the killer app for things like forums. 
    But I cannot find a way to search and order the results by date. 

I am getting results from 2004 mixed in with resaults from 2007 and 2008. 
    I'd really like to sort them by date. 
    • Changed type Mike Walsh FIN Friday, December 5, 2008 7:20 AM Use question so a thread can be marked as answered!
    Friday, December 5, 2008 5:55 AM

All replies

• That's a good point. I'll bring this up as a possible refinement on search results.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Friday, December 5, 2008 6:10 AM
  • It's a good point, but were there forums in 2004 ?

So either he is not searching using the forum software or searching the forum software is throwing up hits that are outside the forum software.

If the former this comment (although applicable here) has gone to the wrong forum.

If the latter, why, Matt ?
    Friday, December 5, 2008 7:22 AM
  • Forum search currently gives results for both these forums and the old forums. This was done so that people could find info while the migration is in progress and not have to know where a forum is located. Also, all of the data from the old forums is beig imported to the new ones.

I'm not sure what date this goes back to.

Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Monday, December 8, 2008 10:00 PM
  • This is still an issue.  I'm a Windows and Linux guy that's trying to get involved in the LinuxIC community but not having a last post date or being able to sort the search results by date is REALLY frustrating.  I keep finding myself in threads that are over a year old and wondering if I'm missing an answer or something.

I have info to share and questions to ask but, as is proper forum manners, don't want to double post.

Please, please update the search results page to include last post date for the return threads.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:47 PM
  • Please, please update the search results page to include last post date for the return threads.

What we really need is to be able to query the meta data for that (e.g. then we could use it in a range as well as just searching for a particular value) but it appears that such information is not available (assuming this is a compelte list of all available meta search terms):

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/436c0821-e7a7-4ba6-8a0a-b34b0ec37ba6/

---

Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:54 AM