none
How do I suppress CopyWebApplications on prem TFS 2018 build agents? RRS feed

• Question

• We have on premises TFS 2018 and after a updating the build server, we now have a complex build that has quadrupled in size because the default to Disable_CopyWebApplication is no longer true for all the agents. My guess is somebody at this company before me overrode the default at the server level. This complex build is using multiple Powershell and Cake scripts and trying to suppress each one is not working. 

Can anyone tell me how to reset the build agent(s) default for MSBuild to Disable_CopyWebApplication=True?

Friday, February 7, 2020 10:56 PM

All replies

• Hi CindyMuesing,

Sorry for delay in reply.

For your requirement, maybe you could use ps script to restart your build agent instead of msbuild tool.

Besides, you could try to add this property into your csproj file, which is like this:

<PropertyGroup>
    <Disable_CopyWebApplication>true</Disable_CopyWebApplication>
    </PropertyGroup>

And you could also go to this path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\[version number]\WebApplicationstargets file", then set this property to true.

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, February 10, 2020 5:08 AM
  • In theory this would have worked, but in our case it did not. The build is controlled by a very complex set of Cake scripts building the 86 projects and apparently not using that path to the MSBuild files. I tried setting the the target property to true for each VS version, but same result. 

In the end, I was able to modify the Cake scripts in 5 places to add the additional property. 

.WithProperty("Disable_CopyWebApplication","True")

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 2:08 PM
  • Hi CindyMuesing1,

Thank you for reply.

Msbuild is a tool to build the project, the commands are used with proj file. And according to your description, the cake script has gone beyond our support. 

We recommend you could redirect to stack overflow with tfs tag and cakebuild tag, and then you could get better support about it

Thank you for understanding.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 13, 2020 7:51 AM