Can't install WHS Connector software on 64-bit OS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a similar problem as one discussed earlier in another thread, and I apologize if my "Newbie-ness" about WHS is obvious.

I installed WHS on my home system a couple of weeks ago with the "evaluation" version obtained directly from MS along with the service pack 1.  I have 3 computers, running XP and Vista Ultimate, that were connected to the server with absolutely no problems and I've been completely satisfied with the results and have been planning on upgrading to the full commercial version. 

I tried to add a fourth computer today to the network, running Vista Home Premium 64-bit, and the connector installation disk won't even let me begin to install the connector software.  It halts at the beginning with a pop-up window that says "You can't install Windows Home Server Connector on 64-bit operating system"

Is this true? even with the commercial version of WHS?   I had been planning on upgrading the OS of the new computer to Vista Ultimate once everything was working and connected but does this mean that it will have to be the 32-bit version?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Joel
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:31 PM

Answers

• Not true. Just make sure you run the installer directly from your home server (in the software share). The connector that comes on the cd does not install correctly on 64 bit machines but after upgrading to PP1 the connector software residing on the server itself will install on 64-bit OSes. I have vista 64 ultimate and it works just fine with the connector provided after PP1.

tb
    • Proposed as answer by contractcooker Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by joelcool Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:54 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:41 PM
  • Thank you, thank you!

Found the 64-bit connector installer as you said.  It installed properly and all is well again with my world.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:50 PM

All replies

• Not true. Just make sure you run the installer directly from your home server (in the software share). The connector that comes on the cd does not install correctly on 64 bit machines but after upgrading to PP1 the connector software residing on the server itself will install on 64-bit OSes. I have vista 64 ultimate and it works just fine with the connector provided after PP1.

tb
    • Proposed as answer by contractcooker Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:41 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:41 PM
  • Thank you, thank you!

Found the 64-bit connector installer as you said.  It installed properly and all is well again with my world.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:50 PM