Updating Windows 7 Product Key for Cloned System RRS feed

• Question

• I have two identical HP Z800 systems running preinstalled Win7 Pro SP1 software. These systems are virtually identical. For unknown reasons, one of them has gone very bad as indicated by various errors (side-by-side failures), and numerous errors unfixable by running SFC /SCANNOW. The only option I have as provided by HP is to reinstall from the DVDs shipped with the system. But this is a clean OS install and, worse yet, wipes out all other partitions on the hard drive. For (I think) obvious reasons, I do not wish to spend the time or effort to then go back and reinstall and customize over 100 products packages.

All the partitions on both systems are imaged for backup purposes. What I would like to do is restore the images for the working computer to the one experiencing problems. Of course at this point, both systems will have the same Win7 product key. So, I would like to update the product key on the previous bad system so that it has the product key identified by the sticker on the outside of the computer. From my perspective, this makes everything look exactly as it should to MS. But does it really ? I have two questions:

1. Will there be a problem when I attempt to activate the changed product key ?

2. Will good ole Genuine Advantage... complain at some point that something is invalid ?

Thanks for your help.

Saturday, March 14, 2015 12:59 AM

Answers

• All machines of the same spec from the same manufacturer will have the same Product Key.

Yes, what you are proposing would work - but back up the target system fully first!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, March 26, 2015 5:36 PM

All replies

• All machines of the same spec from the same manufacturer will have the same Product Key.

Yes, what you are proposing would work - but back up the target system fully first!

Thursday, March 26, 2015 5:36 PM
  • Thanks Noel. I did not realize that both machines had the same product key. That definitely simplifies things. The other machine is at a different location, and I need to retrieve it first so I have not had an opportunity to compare the product keys. And yes, before attempting anything potentially messy (like this) I always image all the drives.

Shelby

Friday, March 27, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Just a quick follow up... I realize that the question I posed was for a rather unique situation, and that it is not likely that many (any ?) others would encounter this issue. But just in case, this or something similar should come up again, I just wanted to mention that everything worked fine. No problems what so ever with Microsoft Update, I'm sure owing to the fact that both machines had the same Win 7 product key (as pointed out by Noel).

Shelby

Saturday, April 11, 2015 6:57 PM
  • Glad it worked!

Good luck.

Sunday, April 12, 2015 9:14 AM