not displaying unaccessible floders in remote access ? RRS feed

• Question

• In remote access, all the shared folders appears, wether you have access or not. Is there a way to hide the folders that you have no access at all? it is useless to show these as you cannot perform anything with them, and might be misleading in some cases.

Is it possible to hide these, or should I post this for possible future enhancements?

Thanks, regards

fg13a
    Friday, August 26, 2011 10:13 AM

Answers

• IIs it possible to hide these, or should I post this for possible future enhancements?

No, you can't hide them (or Microsoft chose not to, and it's not standard Windows behavior) and yes, you should post a product suggestion on Connect (and link it back here, please).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by fg13a Friday, August 26, 2011 1:41 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 12:52 PM

All replies

• IIs it possible to hide these, or should I post this for possible future enhancements?

No, you can't hide them (or Microsoft chose not to, and it's not standard Windows behavior) and yes, you should post a product suggestion on Connect (and link it back here, please).
    • Marked as answer by fg13a Friday, August 26, 2011 1:41 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 12:52 PM
  • As it seems impossible, this is a suggestion:

In remote access, all the shared folders appears, wether you have access or not. Could you provide a way to hide the folders that you have no access at all? it is useless to show these as you cannot perform anything with them, and might be misleading in some cases.

Thanks, regards

fg13a
    • Merged by Ken Warren Friday, August 26, 2011 2:00 PM duplicate of previous post
    Friday, August 26, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Ken, Thanks, I could not post it into the 'Window Home Server Suggestion' chapter. Don't know why.

Francois

fg13a
    Friday, August 26, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Francois

That is not the way to post suggestions any more. You need an account at connect.microsoft.com and then post your suggestion to the Windows Home Server 2011 section.

Actually, I am not sure whether I like this suggestion unless it can be selected as an option by the Server Administrator. I sometimes want to access my own folders (mapped drive) on a machine that someone else is logged into - if they could not be seen I would not be able to do that

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 5:05 PM
  • ...Actually, I am not sure whether I like this suggestion unless it can be selected as an option by the Server Administrator. I sometimes want to access my own folders (mapped drive) on a machine that someone else is logged into - if they could not be seen I would not be able to do that

This functionality already exists in Windows sharing, but it's not used by Microsoft and there's no direct interface to it in Windows, so you have to modify the registry on the "server" computer to hide shares the user has no access to when browsing your network. And you can't do it at all in the Remote Access web site, which is what the OP was asking about.

Even if some shares are hidden, you can completely detach from the server, terminating all connections, then connect again as a different user. The LaunchPad lets you do this, or you can do it by hand. Once you've done this, you should be able to see the shares for the user you're currently logged in to the server as.

Friday, August 26, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Hi fg13a,

just browsing the forum and saw your question. The following worked for me:

Create a "Users" share in the Dashboard. Give that folder read/write access to all users you plan on creating account folders for. Create subfolders for each user account and right-click on each folder, view Properties and go to the Sharing tab. Configure sharing (Don't use Advanced Sharing) based on user access like you would any other share (i.e: only add users you want to give read or write access to and remove the other users). As an example, let's say you have three users: Alice, Bob and John and subfolders for each account within the "Users" share. Each person has write access their own folder, Bob can write to his but read Alice's, and John, the admin, can write to all three -- netiher Alice nor Bob have write access to John's folder.

After you have all your user folders created, everyone will still be able to see each others user account folders, even if they don't have access to it -- Alice, Bob and John can each see each others account subfolders, even though only John has access to all three and neither Alice nor Bob have access to John's folder. Permissions hold true, but Alice and Bob each know that all three of them have their own subfolders.

To remedy that, go to your Server Manager Console, drill down to
    File Services, then to Share and Storage Management. In the center pane, you'll see all your shares created for the SMB/CIFS protocol (all the default shares and the ones you created in the Dashboard, as well as the required Administrative shares). Right-click on your "Users" share and view properties; click on Advanced, and enable "Access-based enumeration".

That way, only the people who have access to each of the "Users" subfolders will be able to actually see the folder exists; it applies to both browsing Network Shares on client computers
    and on the Remote Access Website. In other words, Alice only sees her own subfolder, Bob sees only his and Alice's (he can write to his, but can see within Alice's) and John sees and can write to all three (and neither Bob nor Alice even see John's folder exists).

Pasted from someone else's post so credit to them not to me !

Nick

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:38 PM