Rename entity and modify disabled attributes in CRM 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have a couple of entities i would like to rename. However, the only place
    in the interface where the name is shown is a disabled field (in the General
    Tab, in the Entity Definition block). In fact, they're is a couple attributes
    i need to modify, for exemple the Ownership and the primary attribute name,
    but all of them are disabled. I also wouldn't like to have the recreate each
    of these entity as each entities have a lot of custom attributes and
    relationships that i wouldn't want to have to recreate.
    I thought about exporting the entity in xml format, modify the names i want
    by using Search&Replace, and then re importing the modified entity back in
    CRM, but i don't know if this would do the trick because i fear that theses
    informations might have important implication in the good functionning of CRM
    and that if i tried to modify them outside the Microsoft CRM interface
    something would stop working.

So would this work? Or is their another way to modify the Name of an entity
    or the other disabled attributes?
    Thanks a lot
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:51 PM

Answers

• If it was me I'd probably try exporting out the entity, changing its name and then seeing if I could reimport it as a new entity type. However, in the time it takes to perfect the process it may be possible to create a copy from scratch.

Leon Tribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/
    Friday, June 12, 2009 10:32 PM

All replies

• Generally you can change the Display Name for any entity so I'm not sure what's happening there. Ownership and the primary attribute are set in stone at the time of the entity's creation so you have a problem for these ones. You could try the xml suggestion but I doubt it is going to work and yes, if the file is accepted by CRM may break the entity (backup first).

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:17 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:17 PM
  • Thanks for your answer Leon Tribe.
    However it is not the Display Name i want to change but the Entity Name. I think that this is also set in stone at the time of the entity's creation. But still those names and attribute (ownership and primary attribute name) still need to be changed. What do you think would be the fastest way. I understand that those cannot be changed for that entity, however do you think they're is a way to recreate them fast? For exemple, if for one entity i have 50 custom attributes, and i have to recreate that entity, is they're a way to like duplicate the original entity (keeping all those custom attributes) and modify the other "in stone" attribute (like ownership, entity name and primary attribute). For exemple, can we create a new entity based on another one? In fact I don't really mind having to recreate the entity, it's only the customization part that i would like to skip because i have done a lot of cuztomization already.
    Thanks!

Friday, June 12, 2009 2:39 PM
  • If it was me I'd probably try exporting out the entity, changing its name and then seeing if I could reimport it as a new entity type. However, in the time it takes to perfect the process it may be possible to create a copy from scratch.

Leon Tribe

Friday, June 12, 2009 10:32 PM