Internet Facing Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using IFD configuration tool for upgrading my CRM installation to IFD + Premise.

The problem I am facing is that:

The IFD App Root Domain and IFD SDK Root Domain fields require the domain name.
    The domain name that I am providing is not a n internet accesible domain name but actually is shown in Forward lookup zones in the DNS management console on the DNS server.
    The DNS server's domains are accessible on the intranet not on internet. Is it possible that I can register my organizations with that domain.
    Whenever I put the value in these fields and check for the DNS from the menu in the tool, I get message saying DNS could not resolve.
    Is there some problem with my configuration or is it that local DNS domains are not allowed in this.

Regards,
    Haris
    Monday, May 4, 2009 1:16 PM

Answers

• When you are using IFD, you need a DNS entry that will resolve to the CRM server.  So, when you put domain.com in the IFD tool, when it checks teh DNS entries, it is then looking for org.domain.com.  This entry must exist and resolve from any machine on the network to be able to hit your server.

You can achieve this by putting in a HOST file entry on the machines or by adding the appropriate dns entry.
    Matt, MVP - Dynamics CRM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, May 4, 2009 9:37 PM
    Monday, May 4, 2009 8:14 PM

All replies

• Monday, May 4, 2009 3:01 PM
  • When you are using IFD, you need a DNS entry that will resolve to the CRM server.  So, when you put domain.com in the IFD tool, when it checks teh DNS entries, it is then looking for org.domain.com.  This entry must exist and resolve from any machine on the network to be able to hit your server.

You can achieve this by putting in a HOST file entry on the machines or by adding the appropriate dns entry.
    Matt, MVP - Dynamics CRM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, May 4, 2009 9:37 PM
    Monday, May 4, 2009 8:14 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the help. But the problem persists.

I have registered http://ss.domain.com:5555 on the DNS where ss is my organization name.
    On the IFD config. tool when I enter domain.com:5555 or domain.com in the IFD App root domain and IFD SDK Root domain and try to check the DNS, there always comes a message saying could not resolve.
    The intresting part is that when I enter ss.domain.com:5555 and then try to check DNS, the error message appears saying "ss.ss.domain.com:5555" cannot be resolved. This is strange. I know that i should only enter domain.com:5555 instead of appending ss to it, but why it says that "ss.ss..." cannot be resolved.

But after adding an entry into the host file, I was able to access the CRM app from a client computer but with username/password dialog appearing. For that I unchecked the Windows Authentication option from CRM website and also added signin.aspx in the documents on the website's document tab.

The problem is now that signin.aspx page is appearing blank or not appearing. I'll be greatful for any help.

Regards,
    Haris
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

Just to add a little. I 've found another person facing same kind of problem on this link http://community.dynamics.com/forums/t/16685.aspx
    May be that can help to understand the problem.

Regards,
    Haris
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 6:51 AM
  • Hi,

also added signin.aspx in the documents on the website's document tab.

Remove any other page from there except signin.aspx. Hopefully it will resovle your issue.

Regards,

Laeeq Qazi|Snr Software Engineer(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.hostingcontroller.com
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:44 PM