Hardware power consumption RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm looking forward to getting a dedicated WHS server later this year, or whenever this goes public.

However, Microsoft need to ensure that hardware manufacturers work to specifications which absolutely minimize the power consumption of servers if they're to be left on in millions of homes in the future. 

This power management needs also to be clever, so that it can be programmed to automatically boot up and power down according to individually determined time parameters.

(removed politically-charged statement)

Steve
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 11:53 AM

All replies

• I agree very strongly - it's the first thing I thought when I discovered the product 20 minutes ago.

It is a bit of a shame that the product is going to suit initial installation on old kit, although M$ docs do recommend new stuff.

So please will a Microsoft representative provide details of the power management in WHS?  And if it is not adequate, immediately start a programme to make it so?

David

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:07 PM
  • I'm going to start by pointing you to the Microsoft WHS marketing site. That will tell you a lot about the product; I suggest you spend some time looking at things there.

The one thing that you should understand, though, is that WHS is not primarily designed to be a software only purchase to be installed on some piece of hardware that you currently have. I don't know the exact numbers, but the vast majority of sales will be pre-installed on hardware like the HP MediaSmart Server. Software will be availble to enthusiasts through the standard system builder channels, but it won't be available on the shelf for retail purchase. So the vast majority of sales will be on new hardware.

Now, for power management: WHS is a server based on the Windows family of operating systems (Windows Server 2003 to be specific), and as such, it's designed to be running constantly. Some users have managed to implement some level of power management with WHS, but there is no interface exposed to the average end user to configure it, there is no guarantee that it will work on your particular hardware, and it's unsupported if you try. It's possible that some of the OEMs that will be supplying solutions based on WHS will choose to do something in this area, but the OS itself has only the usual Power Options control panel applet.

Your best bet for power savings with WHS, if you choose to "roll your own," is to use hardware that is inherently green: low-power processor (maybe a mobile processor), a reasonable amount of RAM (double the minimum requirement is usually a good rule of thumb), efficient disk drives, integrated graphics, and the right motherboard. The right hardware will get the power consumption down around the single light bulb range. Check the hardware forum for several threads on this subject, with lots of good advice.

All of which is not to say I disagree with the basic premise; I also think it would be great if this issue was more thoroughly addressed. But Version 1 has been released to manufacturing, so we'll need to wait for some future version of WHS to see it.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 2:44 PM
  • I agree with your view on this SME. Microsoft's responsilbility is to publish hardware requirements and the system builder (DIYer or 3rd party vendor) can decide if they want to market to "green types" by making their systems consume less power. I will probably build my own and I will go the "green" route but NOT because of global warming or the lack there of. I'll do because I want to have more money for doing other things.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:46 PM
  • It would be difficult to set a maximum power limit when there is no limit to the number of drive that can be added but there are other limits that they have set.

The server system must remain operational without overheating in small, enclosed spaces where the temperature can reach 35degrees Celsius and relative humidity is at an 80% steady state. An example of a small, enclosed space is a cabinet that measures 2 x 1 x 3 (length x height x width, all in feet).

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:54 PM
  •  

20W - by independant review Smile

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/121499/tranquil-t7hsa.html

phew !

Monday, August 6, 2007 9:54 PM
  • Thanks for the link.

Wonderful.

Steve
    Tuesday, August 7, 2007 10:54 AM