Client PC backup unsuccessful Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client PC running Windows Vista. The OS is on the C: (IDE PATA) disk and my user data are on D:.  I can backup D: but every attempt to backup C: results in:

"Cannot read the information on the drive you want to back up. To resolve the issue run chkdsk.exe to check and fix drive errors"

I've done this with the /F option enabled and this hasn't resolved the issue. Windows appears to run normally on the disk. Is there a solution?

Friday, January 27, 2012 12:58 PM

All replies

• Is the drive formatted to FAT32?  WHS requires all client partitions to be NTFS.  Regardless, the download link below may give you some relief.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=10788

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I have a client PC running Windows Vista. The OS is on the C: (IDE PATA) disk and my user data are on D:. I can backup D: but every attempt to backup C: results in:

"Cannot read the information on the drive you want to back up. To resolve the issue run chkdsk.exe to check and fix drive errors"

I've done this with the /F option enabled and this hasn't resolved the issue. Windows appears to run normally on the disk. Is there a solution?

BullDawg
    Friday, January 27, 2012 2:12 PM
  • The drive is NTFS
    Friday, January 27, 2012 2:32 PM
  • On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:58:01 +0000, ChrisKMRT wrote:

I've done this with the /F option enabled and this hasn't resolved the issue.

Try it /R instead.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    The Geeks shall inherit the earth!

Friday, January 27, 2012 2:46 PM
  • I was going to try the /R option. Presumably if it finds bad sectors this won't stop the drive from booting?
    Friday, January 27, 2012 3:02 PM
  • I was going to try the /R option. Presumably if it finds bad sectors this won't stop the drive from booting?

Bad sectors usually won't, on their own. Fixing them could, in just the right circumstances: bad sectors have a good chance to result in data loss during the repair process, and if critical OS files are affected your system could conceivably be rendered unbootable.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 27, 2012 5:51 PM