Favorite 1TB Hard Drive? RRS feed

• Question

• What's your favorite 1TB hard drive that's appropriate for a WHS?

I'm lost in the offerings, and understand there's some drives out there more appropriate for RAID configuration, that runs 24/7. Also, I understand 1TB might be a better call that something larger? Not sure about that...??

At the moment, I've got the std recent Costco offering...a 750mb and 500mb, and guess I'm not surprised I'm filling them up as I consolidate files.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Jason
    • Moved by kariya21Moderator Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:39 AM hardware question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:10 AM

Answers

I'm lost in the offerings, and understand there's some drives out there more appropriate for RAID configuration, that runs 24/7.

Just so you know, while WHS offers RAID-like capabilities, it is not actual RAID.

Also, I understand 1TB might be a better call that something larger? Not sure about that...??

The biggest right now is 2 TB:  Western Digital Caviar Green.

At the moment, I've got the std recent Costco offering...a 750mb and 500mb, and guess I'm not surprised I'm filling them up as I consolidate files.

Jason
    Strictly my opinion, but I've always liked WD (although I do have a Seagate 1.5 TB in my server as well).  I also know people who won't touch WD drives with a 10 foot pole. :)  I don't really think it matters all that much.  Typically either a drive is pretty much DOA or it will run for a long time.  If you are concerned about space, I would focus on the drives that give you the most "bang for your buck".   I believe at this point, the Seagate 1.5 TB drive ($130) is the leader in that category.
    • Marked as answer by MtnLover Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:56 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:53 AM

All replies

I'm lost in the offerings, and understand there's some drives out there more appropriate for RAID configuration, that runs 24/7.

Just so you know, while WHS offers RAID-like capabilities, it is not actual RAID.

Also, I understand 1TB might be a better call that something larger? Not sure about that...??

The biggest right now is 2 TB:  Western Digital Caviar Green.

Jason
    Strictly my opinion, but I've always liked WD (although I do have a Seagate 1.5 TB in my server as well).  I also know people who won't touch WD drives with a 10 foot pole. :)  I don't really think it matters all that much.  Typically either a drive is pretty much DOA or it will run for a long time.  If you are concerned about space, I would focus on the drives that give you the most "bang for your buck".   I believe at this point, the Seagate 1.5 TB drive ($130) is the leader in that category.
    • Marked as answer by MtnLover Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:56 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:53 AM
  • kariya21...that'll get me going...thank you. Really didn't know what direction to head it.

Is it a big deal if drives aren't rated 24/7? I don't run my server all the time often...only a few PM's each week for maintenance & backups.

Oh, that green drive is pretty cool! The SG seems like the one to score on...yes, bang for your buck seems to be the way to go for me. Perfect!
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:53 AM
  • I am absolutely loving the 2TB WD Caviars I picked up for my MWS.  A little spendier per GB than the SG, but have been more reliable than the SG the HP delivers in there mediasmart server
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:16 AM
  • Before you buy SG make sure you read about the 7200.11 firmware problems. AFAIK the problems are behind them now but the way they admitted and handled things scared me off for a while.

Decide if your goal for a server is lowest cost per gig or best price/ max storage size. If it's the former, you can get 1TB Samsung greens for as little as $70US as of today. For the latter I'd look at 1.5TB WD greens or possibly SG if they don't scare you. I've seen the SG for as low as $120 and the WD $130.

Maximum storage would be the 2TB WD but at a price premium. Around $230.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:42 PM
  • The WD Green 1.5TB are not that much more than the Seagate's...except the greens are 5400, vs. 7200. I like the looks of the Green one... What's the impact of running the 5400 Green, vs. the SG 7200?
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:44 PM
  • One last question...about the Seagate. Has anyone needed to upgrade the firmware, or are they shipping now with the most current version?
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:54 PM
  • What's the impact of running the 5400 Green, vs. the SG 7200?
    On WHS I do not think you will notice the difference (I don't) as when accessing your data NIC speeds are the weakest link.
    (BTW: I think they are actually not 5400 rpm drives. Speed varies on usage upto max 7200 rpm?)

IMHO these drives are ideal for a Windows Home Server. I have been using 3 WD Green's for almost a year now (2x750G and a 1T) and I love them: low on power usage, very quiet, low drive temps and low cost (at least overhere in The Netherlands).

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:06 PM
  • One last question...about the Seagate. Has anyone needed to upgrade the firmware, or are they shipping now with the most current version?

Yes. I had 7 - 7200.11 drives on 3 computers at the start of 2009. A mixture of 500 and 750 GB, one external, the rest internal. One failed and was RMAed (at my shipping cost). I later learned a second was affected by the problem and applied the BIOS upgrade. I have had no other failures of any of them. I can tell you the whole long story (it's not pretty but I'm not sure it's within the forum's scope.)

Have they fixed the problem and will you get an unaffected drive? I have no idea. I don't trust SG anymore so I personally won't buy a new 7200.11.

As others have said about the Greens vs. SG 7200 RPM, I don't think you would see the difference in a WHS. I have two other Greens, internal, 1TB and 1.5TB just as bulk storage on non-servers and they are plenty fast for holding downloads, music, even playing videos on a local machine. They aren't variable speed as has been suggested though. WD doesn't really talk about rated spindle speed on them but I believe it's 5400.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:43 PM

I bought one of the Seagate 1.5 TB drives in Jan/Feb.  It did not come with the bad firmware.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 3:38 AM
  • Absolutely no problems with 5x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB drives. I am recently expanding with 2x Seagate 1.5 TB and still testing these for any issues. These already have the firmware fixed
    Friday, June 12, 2009 6:01 PM