Bizarre problem with username RRS feed

• Question

• I was called to a CPA's office today to setup a new 2011 Home Server.  There were no problems except when I attempted to create users.  Every username was fine except for one.  Linda.  The machine would not accept the name Linda!  It always said it had an invalid character in the name.  So I tried rebooting,  I tried a different keyboard, I tried to use the oncscreen keyboard, I used a workstation and tried it via RDP.  No Joy.  

I can successfully create the names Lind, inda, Landi, or any other variation.  However, if you type Linda or linda it says it contains an invalid character.

Is there some programmer at Microsoft who had a bad relationship with a Linda??  Would someone out there with a 2011 Home Server please try and create user Linda either a standard user, or an administrator and let me know.

Scratching my head....

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:14 AM

Answers

• No problem here...

Have you checked if there is a computer with the name "Linda". I remember something from the early days where a username could not be the same as a computername. Something related to NETBIOS?

Luc.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:43 AM

All replies

• No problem here...

Have you checked if there is a computer with the name "Linda". I remember something from the early days where a username could not be the same as a computername. Something related to NETBIOS?

Luc.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:43 AM
  • thanks for the test LucTh.  I'll disconnect it from the network and make sure there is no "Linda" anywhere on the machine.  

this is soooo freakin weird.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:43 PM