can microsoft trace non genuine copy windows xp RRS feed

• Question

• i leant my old laptop to my inlaws while their P.C was being repaired. because windows was pre loaded i didnt get a disc (it came with an authentic genuine sticker on the under belly) and when i needed the hard-drive replaced i lost my windows xp. i borrowed a disc off a friend of a friend and it came up with this is not a genuine copy i ran with it for a couple of months before surcoming to purchasing new laptop with windows 7 and my old one in the cupboard till my inlaws needed to check their e-mails. they got it up and running then they got a phone call from a representitive with a strong a asian accent claiming they know windows xp not a genuine. does microsoft do this.?
    Friday, September 10, 2010 3:34 PM

Answers

• Question two first since this is the most important one. NO!!!! this is a scam, MS will never call you and accuse you of running non-genuine software. They are phishing for your personal information and/or credit card. If you or they have given them any information then please call your banks to report possible fraud.

Question one, please read the privacy statement for MS Office and MS Windows. I mean this answer in all seriousness, MS spells out the information that is transfered when using, activating and updating MS software as well as information transferred in the validation process. I may not agree with the process but I feel perfectly safe knowing what information they obtain and feel my identity is protected.

Computer related phone scams are becoming more and more prevelant as are maill and electronic means. If someone calls, emails, writes you with any requests for personal information from an organization you do not recognise do not respond or be very careful in responding, if it is from an organization you recognize but you still have doubt then do exactly what you did here, go to the source and ask.

Good job on not becoming a victim and thanks for shedding light on one of the newer scams. Another variant of this is the "Your Computer Company" phone scam where they call you to tell you that your computer has a virus or is otherwise broken and how they can fix it by logging on to it remotely.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, September 10, 2010 9:36 PM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 6:20 PM

All replies

• Question two first since this is the most important one. NO!!!! this is a scam, MS will never call you and accuse you of running non-genuine software. They are phishing for your personal information and/or credit card. If you or they have given them any information then please call your banks to report possible fraud.

Question one, please read the privacy statement for MS Office and MS Windows. I mean this answer in all seriousness, MS spells out the information that is transfered when using, activating and updating MS software as well as information transferred in the validation process. I may not agree with the process but I feel perfectly safe knowing what information they obtain and feel my identity is protected.

Computer related phone scams are becoming more and more prevelant as are maill and electronic means. If someone calls, emails, writes you with any requests for personal information from an organization you do not recognise do not respond or be very careful in responding, if it is from an organization you recognize but you still have doubt then do exactly what you did here, go to the source and ask.

Good job on not becoming a victim and thanks for shedding light on one of the newer scams. Another variant of this is the "Your Computer Company" phone scam where they call you to tell you that your computer has a virus or is otherwise broken and how they can fix it by logging on to it remotely.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, September 10, 2010 9:36 PM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 6:20 PM
  • I completly agree with Carl_OH.

What you describe is a Scam.  Generally speaking, Microsoft does not contact people (by phone nor by email) without the person first giving us permission to do so.

In addition, we do not link any personal information we may have about a customer to a product. In other words, if you happen to tell us your phone number, it would be stored in a database completly seperate from out database of Genuine software. So even if we did actively look for customers to call who's Windows is non-genuine (we most definetly do not), we have no records as to who that Windows belongs to. So we would have no idea who to call.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Friday, September 10, 2010 9:36 PM

• No, You should NEVER give info to someone you are not expecting an email from. You might also want to look into using an identity theft protection service like Lifelock. http://www.lifelock.com/landing/real/safe . They are currently offering 10% off if you use promo code SAFEID1. Hope this helps.

I 'm also a contracted representative of LifeLock, so if you have any questions about thier identity theft protection services, let me know.

Monday, October 25, 2010 2:08 PM
  • Spam???
    Monday, October 25, 2010 7:10 PM