Is it ok to copy data from d:\shares RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of removing a drive so the \\servername\shares are not available.  I was thinking of copying my data from d:\shares that I need to make sure is safe to an external drive.  It has already been backed up to one drive, but I prefer to have multiple copies of it just in case.

I kind of verified that it seems to be the real data that is copied on a small volumne of data, but I want to know that i am not going to end up with an external drive full of tombstones.  I would remove the drive again,unfortunately I read the web sites and it seems to indicate that removing an esata drive is not a good thing to do.  I did do it once and it seemed to work without loss of data, but don't really want to tempt fate...

Will this form of copy work, or is there a danger in doing it this way?

Thanks,

Anthony Rizzolo

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:59 AM

Answers

• I am in the process of removing a drive so the \\servername\shares are not available.  I was thinking of copying my data from d:\shares that I need to make sure is safe to an external drive.  It has already been backed up to one drive, but I prefer to have multiple copies of it just in case.

I kind of verified that it seems to be the real data that is copied on a small volumne of data, but I want to know that i am not going to end up with an external drive full of tombstones.  I would remove the drive again,unfortunately I read the web sites and it seems to indicate that removing an esata drive is not a good thing to do.  I did do it once and it seemed to work without loss of data, but don't really want to tempt fate...

Thanks,

Anthony Rizzolo

Although unsupported, it should be safe.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:40 AM

All replies

Thanks,

Anthony Rizzolo

Although unsupported, it should be safe.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:40 AM
  • ok, thanks just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting time by asking the experts.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:39 AM