Tune-up continues to run. Doesn't ever finish. RRS feed

• Question

• OneCare's Tune-up continues to run.   It seems to hang on the Anti Virus scan.  Nothing shows in the progress box. (0%)

I have tried to do the Tune-up at least three times leaving it run overnight.  OC shows to have completed the defrag.  Any suggestions?  Should I leave it running?  I'm running Vista.

njwg

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 12:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• There have been a few reports of this, but I don't know if a solution has been found yet. You may not be able to cancel it, but I'd be interested if it ever completes.

-steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:49 PM
  • Hi Steve,

The Tune-up is still running.  I don't remember just what time I restarted the tune-up, but I do know it's still running here at 1PM.  I plan on leaving it go because I do see it is scanning different items (noted below progress box) and not stuck on one.  Just wish the progress bar would show a little green and I would feel a little better.

Thanks for the reply.

Noma

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 7:12 PM
  • Keep us posted, Noma.

Thanks,

steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 8:05 PM
  • Hey Steven and All,

Things are looking up....I can now see a little green in the progress box!!!!   I'm encouraged the tune-up will finish. 

Noma

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 11:09 PM
  • That's still not normal, Noma! There's clearly a problem and you aren't the only one reporting this!

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:45 AM
  • I heard a reply about this already and they said to do a reinstall... Not sure if it helped but it was suggested.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:35 PM
  • If you take the plunge and do a reinstall, please let us know if the problem goes away.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:55 PM
  •   Thought I would jump in here,I did a reinstall as soon as I noticed a problem with scan mode (no luck).I have let scan run for over 24 Hrs,it seems to be in Loop Mode.I have tried full scan & quick scan modes,it just keeps scanning??

I have a paid subscription for over a year with no conflicting anti-virus programs,it worked great until the recent upgrade.I'm looking forward to a fix for this problem as I'm concerned that OC is no longer protecting my computer.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 2:43 PM
  • Thanks for jumping in with your experience.

Can you have a look at this thread - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523777&SiteID=2 - though the symptoms are worse with OneCare not starting, check that those services are up and running.

Also, try disabling PRNP service. (type services.msc on command prompt, find PRNP service and disable it)

-steve

Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:31 PM
  • I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM SINCE STUPID UPDATE !!!!! I HAVE CONTACTED SUPPORT AND THEY SUGGESTED RE-INSTALLING... I DID THE UNINSTALL TOOL TO COMPLETELY CLEAN OLDER VERSION OF ONECARE PER SUGGESTION FROM SUPPORT. I RUN THE TUNE-UP AND HAVE SAME PROBLEM  FIRST 2 WORKS GREAT...BUT WHEN IT GETS TO ANTI-VIRUS CHECK STAYS ON 0% FOR ALMOST 6 HOURS...LEFT ON FOR 2 1/2 DAYS ONLY GOT TO 3%.. THIS UPDATE SUCKS AND I THINK THEY SHOULD NEVER HAVE EVEN RELEASED IT TILL IT WAS TESTED THOROUGHLY!!!! IF THIS ISN'T FIXED VERY SOON....I WILL BE CHANGING MY VIRUS PROTECTION PROGRAM TO ANOTHER COMPANY....I HAVE HAD THIS FOR 3 YEARS NOW WITHOUT ANY PRIOR ISSUES.. A SHAME!!!!!

Sunday, January 13, 2008 11:48 PM
  • I'm sorry to read of your problem. Have you responded to support to continue the troubleshooting? It would appear that something may be in conflict with OneCare.

-steve

Monday, January 14, 2008 2:36 AM
  • I'm just experiencing the same problem after a recent automatic update.  Unfortunately just prior to the update I renewed my subscription and if I'd known about this I'd probably have purchased  third party software.

I've run Tune Up 4 times since the update last week and everytime as soon as it gets to Virus scanning it just seems to hang.  I've left it overnight for hours and its still hanging. Whats more you can't stop it unless one shuts the the computer down.

Before the update evrything was fine and it was a great piece of kit but now I'm noty so sure the updates and refinements have done any good at all.

How does one get it to operate properly?       

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Have you had a look at this thread about winss? http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2008959&SiteID=2

Perhaps that is the solution? Otherwise, I recommend contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, January 14, 2008 7:43 PM
  •  

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2008959&SiteID=2

This was the fix I have been praying for for the last 3 days.....disabled the mentioned items and I was finally able to complete the tune-up in the normal time.. After shutting down computer and restarting it the next day live onecare loaded up normally ...Before doing this fix my pcu was maxed out at 100% consistently.. after fix averaged 4-20% cpu usage!

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:53 PM
  •  DTHECOPYMAN wrote:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2008959&SiteID=2

This was the fix I have been praying for for the last 3 days.....disabled the mentioned items and I was finally able to complete the tune-up in the normal time.. After shutting down computer and restarting it the next day live onecare loaded up normally ...Before doing this fix my pcu was maxed out at 100% consistently.. after fix averaged 4-20% cpu usage!

I'm glad that you were able to solve it and sorry that you had the problem at all.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:17 PM
  • The Virus Scan is USLESS!!!!!
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:08 AM
  •  HMSchmitter wrote:
    The Virus Scan is USLESS!!!!!

Perhaps if you explained why you felt that way, your post would make some sense. It is far from useless unless you are experiencing a problem with it, which is certainly possible.

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:32 PM
  • I totally agree...seeing this post was the answer to my prayers!  Last week, my system did the automatic OneCare update; and immediately after, EVERYTHING on my system was moving at a snail's pace.  A quick scan took almost six hours, and a tune-up wouldn't successfully complete even after running for 24 hours straight.  I contacted Microsoft Technical Support, and they offerred a few suggestions, but none corrected the problem.  I e-mailed them back on 1/13/08 asking for futher assistance, but haven't heard back from them.  So tonight, I started reading through these threads to see if others were having the same problem, and I saw the post above.  I disabled the Peer Name Resolution Protocol and Peer Networking Identity Manager, and thank God, that seems to have corrected the problems.  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! 

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:11 AM
  • I'm glad to hear that you were able to solve it from the information here, KatyDont, but wish that support had been able to correct it for you.

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:55 PM
  • I have a similar problem.  After installing I tried to run the tune up and got past the defragmentation.  I continued to let the scan run for about 12 days where the scan actually progressed to 60 percent.  Before installing One Care, I removed Norton Anti Virus 2007 and Iolo System Mechanic Professional.  I can tell you that I am about to go back to Norton and Iolo and ditch One Care.  One Care has just been "One Real Problem".

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:51 PM
  •  James Carman wrote:

I have a similar problem.  After installing I tried to run the tune up and got past the defragmentation.  I continued to let the scan run for about 12 days where the scan actually progressed to 60 percent.  Before installing One Care, I removed Norton Anti Virus 2007 and Iolo System Mechanic Professional.  I can tell you that I am about to go back to Norton and Iolo and ditch One Care.  One Care has just been "One Real Problem".

12 days is insanely long. I would have given up long before that, so I applaud you patience!

Have you seen this post? http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2707364&SiteID=2

I think that it will solve you problem.

-steve

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:24 AM
  •  

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:48 AM
  • I was running 100% CPU.  Nothing suggested in this thread seem to be a problem with the exception of the Search Indexter (think Steve posted this), so I disable and CPU now is at about 25%.

I then started the Tune-up again.  Now the Virus scan shows a percentage....not very far thought only 6%, but at least I know it is doing something. 

It was also suggested to put external drive...one which has the backup...on exclusive list. 

We will see if the lower CPU and back-up drive being removed from picture lets scan finish.

Noma

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:09 AM
  • HELLO!  My tune-up finished! 

It was suggested and I did put my Pictures, ad I have a ton, on exclusive list as well.  No need in scanning each and every time I guess.

Thanks to all for such helpful posts. 

Noma

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:32 PM
  •  nglazner wrote:

HELLO!  My tune-up finished! 

It was suggested and I did put my Pictures, ad I have a ton, on exclusive list as well.  No need in scanning each and every time I guess.

Thanks to all for such helpful posts. 

Noma

I'm glad it finally finished, Noma, but that's still too long, I think. Have you looked at this post - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2707364&SiteID=2

I think it may be what you are experiencing.

-steve

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:03 PM
  •        Hello Steve,

I just happen to run across this blog in atempting to get my computer back on track. Ever since live one has updated my one care, my computer has ran like it is racing. The fan seems to never stop.

Once the tune up starts it completes through the back up files then it goes on to virus scan. It never completes the scan. The first time I recognized this was the next day after they did the update. I left the house for over 24 hours and when I returned the scanner was still at 0% and the fan had been running the whole entire time. I dont know if this is going to damage my computer. I see here that other people are having the same type of problems. Has anyone came up with any suggestions.

I did do a chat session with a technition and he had me do several steps  then i was suppose to return to the chat and somehow during this process the chat got disconnected. What I did to my computer didnt change anything.

There now is that fix it click that they offer. The only problem with that is its not convenient. It rarely gives you the opportunity to fix it.  When I turned on my computer today my fan instantly started to go. The scanner had not started yet. So, something else is making it run all the time. On the information page for one care the fix it button was present. I clicked on it and now my one care icon is now gone and Im hoping they are fixing the problem.

Has anyone else have another suggestion on how to handle this problem. Does anyone else out there have a fan that doesnt stop running due to this update that they did last Sunday..

For a tune up virus scanner to run for more than 36 hours is rediculous. I also can not back up my files.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 12:38 AM
  •  kimmari wrote:

Hello Steve,

I just happen to run across this blog in atempting to get my computer back on track. Ever since live one has updated my one care, my computer has ran like it is racing. The fan seems to never stop.

I believe that you will find the solution in this post - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2707364&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 2:30 AM