Locating Computer that has been stolen but One Care is still active RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is there a way to capture the IP address of a laptop that has been stolen and Live One Care is still active?  I can see the stolen laptop in my circle and can see that it is being used online and the most recent time and date that Live One Care is displaying. Does Live One Care log the IP address anywhere?  if so where can it be accessed?

Thanks

Thursday, August 7, 2008 1:14 AM

Answers

• Have the police contact Microsoft. OneCare is talking to the server if it is active and it may be possible to capture the IP address from the data being submitted, but it is going to require a request (and I don't know what needs to accompany the request) from the police investigating your case.
    -steve
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 1:33 PM

All replies

• Have the police contact Microsoft. OneCare is talking to the server if it is active and it may be possible to capture the IP address from the data being submitted, but it is going to require a request (and I don't know what needs to accompany the request) from the police investigating your case.
    -steve
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 1:33 PM
  • I have the same problem - and had the police call but Microsoft refused to give the information.
    It seems Microsoft isn't a very good corporate citizen.
    I am willing to pay for the techs time.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:17 PM
  • I'm sorry to read about the theft and hope that you are successful in getting the PC returned to you and the thief apprehended.

The last information that I was provided was that the local law enforcement agency with an active case can contact Microsoft and request this information officially. Law enforcement has a special number to call (I do not know this number) and they will need to take care of the legal paperwork to make the request. They will need to know your subscription information, PC name, and other information related to the account and that PC. That still does not guarantee that they can provide anything useful to help locate the PC, unfortunately.
    The most recent request for this has not yielded any satisfactory results.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, January 1, 2010 9:04 PM