Remove drives and reinsert one at a time? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 5 drives in the storage pool, 4 out of 5 are the same make and model.  I want to remove them all and reinsert one at a time to properly label. This may also cause me to place them on different sata channels. Will mixing them up create any problems when everything is reconnected?

Folder duplication is on as well.

Mike

Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:46 PM

Answers

• The drives were also out of sequence as reported in the bios. With proper labeling and a proper sequence it would be easier to locate and replace a failed drive. I should have thought of this during the build.

I tried it anyway. It did require moving drives to different SATA channels. I’m pleased to report WHS didn’t care what order they are in as long as all drives are present.

Now the drives correctly labeled, listed sequentially in the bios, backplane and WHS console.

Thanks for your reply Peter,

Mike

• Marked as answer by Mike_Land Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:33 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:32 AM

All replies

• Would it not make more sense to take out one at a time
    to label and reinsert in the same spot           ?????????/

peter

If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate
    or disruptive,please ignore it.
    If you dont know how to ignore a posting complain
    to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :-)
    "Mike_Land" wrote in message news:b976aa0d-d84f-496f-8edb-2e9966528e78...

I have 5 drives in the storage pool, 4 out of 5 are the same make and model.  I want to remove them all and reinsert one at a time to properly label. This may also cause me to place them on different sata channels. Will mixing them up create any problems when everything is reconnected?

Folder duplication is on as well.

Mike

Monday, October 11, 2010 1:54 AM
  • The drives were also out of sequence as reported in the bios. With proper labeling and a proper sequence it would be easier to locate and replace a failed drive. I should have thought of this during the build.

I tried it anyway. It did require moving drives to different SATA channels. I’m pleased to report WHS didn’t care what order they are in as long as all drives are present.

Now the drives correctly labeled, listed sequentially in the bios, backplane and WHS console.

Thanks for your reply Peter,

Mike

• Marked as answer by Mike_Land Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:33 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:32 AM