Money 2003 still works, but Bank of America may have screwed me RRS feed

• Question

• I have been happily using Money 2003 for a looong time.  It never expired.  (I don't download stock prices or use any other "online" features.)  

I always started the export of the OFX file for my checking account from a button on Bank of America's Web page, under Download.  It was labeled "Active Statement download for Microsoft Money 2006 and above", or something like that.  It worked great with Money 2003.

But today, that selection is missing from the Bank of America site.  I can select other formats, such as Quicken, 4-digit QIF, etc. but not OFX.  At the moment, without more futzing around, Money doesn't want to import those.  I could probably fix that, but it's late...  :-)

The "Money Sunset" page says that if your bank still provides OFX downloads, those will import into the Sunset version of Money.  Since Money 2003 never expired, I presume that if my bank still provided OFX downloads that they would work forever with Money 2003. 

The OFX download choice was there last week, since I downloaded my transactions last week!

Now I'll have to ask Bank of America to reinstate the OFX download, or else change banks!  Ugh.  I am not a fan of Quicken, and if they require me to buy the program every year, I will try something else.  Wasn't someone working on an open-source financial management program a while back?  Do people like that?

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:46 AM

All replies

• See the third post on this thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/4eb97b9c-c044-4077-9c65-34a83df7db17 

It describes a way to make Windows treate an incoming *.qfx file as if it were named *.ofx

I don't know that somebody running Money 2003 tried it, but I think it should work.

Alternatively, you could save the *.qif file to disk, and use File->Import to bring that file into Money. I know that works with later versions.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Yes, BAC just pulled the OFX statement downloads off their website.  I would close my credit card account in protest except that they are paying me 2% cashback.  I will close the acct and never do business with them again as soon as they cancel my cashback which I expect soon.  They are lowlifes.  There was no reason for dropping OFX downloads which are used by many Money users.

In any event Money Sunset imports the .QIF file option on BAC's website just fine.  I don't know why M2003 would not do so as well.  The QIF file does put a long number in my credit card transaction register which is most annoying but if I delete it the transaction is duplicated if the transaction is imported again.

Regards

Bill Wood

Sunday, July 3, 2011 12:34 AM
  • Later versions of Money, at least, can import Quicken *.qif statement files. Are you saying that *.qif is not an offered choice.

Sunday, July 3, 2011 5:09 AM