c# trying to change datasource folder for crystal report RRS feed

• Question

• I had working fine in my c# project where my crystal report was displaying as it was based on a source in a fixed file location such as d:\devel\temptodo.accdb.  Now I'm trying to get it so the access database gets referred from a dynamic folder location for the temp folder

string tmpfn = System.IO.Path.GetTempPath() + "temptodo.accdb";

While it seems my report is searching for the database located in d:\devel, I need it to find it in wherever the temp folder is being used for client purposes, and so far have gotten my viewer code to appear as follows:

rn = DMReferrals.rpt
    fn = %temp%temptodo.accdb (c:\temp\temptodo.accdb on my workstation)

public FrmReportBySource(string rn, string fn)
            {
                InitializeComponent();
                ReportDocument cryRpt = new ReportDocument();
                cryRpt.Load(rn);

cryRpt.DataSourceConnections[0].SetConnection(fn, "DMtodo", false);
                cryRpt.DataSourceConnections[0].SetLogon("", "");

crystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = cryRpt;
                crystalReportViewer1.Refresh();
            }

what is actually happening is I see a "Please wait while the document is processing" message in background with a spinning wheel, along with a popup message "Logon Failed. Please try again." as I don't have any username nor password for this access database anyways.

intriguingly if I click ok then refresh the report I get the desired output, so I'm guessing there's something minor here.

Please advise on what I need to properly point to my dynamic access file, thanks.

• Edited by jfalberg Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:15 PM
    • Moved by Cindy Meister MVP Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:06 AM not using VSTO technology (From:Visual Studio Tools for Office)
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi jfalberg,

You can refer to environment variables with the System.Environment.GetEnvironmentVariable method.

This thread should be moved to Visual Studio .NET Base Class Library forum, or at least to a forum of the .NET Framework category on MSDN.

Regards,

Zoli

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:38 AM
  • Wherever I can figure how to fix this problem is fine with me.  If Crystal Reports had a way to detect environment variables such as where the temp folder is on client workstation instead of a static folder then that would easily solve my problem.  At this time I still haven't found a working solution to my problem.

edit: as an update, I changed

cryRpt.DataSourceConnections[0].SetConnection(fn, "DMtodo", false);
    to

cryRpt.DataSourceConnections[0].SetConnection(fn, "", false);

and it worked for me.  I'm not sure why an example let me to this but so long as my report works I'm satisfied. 

moderators can close this now.

• Edited by jfalberg Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:03 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Visit http://scn.sap.com/community/crystal-reports-for-visual-studio/content?filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype[thread] for help in expected parameters of Crystal Report. I am sure it supports sources other than hard-coded file location.

Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:22 PM
  • Hello again as I'm once again trying to figure out what is wrong here.  My code for displaying my report is presently as follows:

public FrmReportBySource(string rn, string fn)
            {
                InitializeComponent();
                ConnectionInfo ciReportConnection = new ConnectionInfo();
                ReportDocument cryRpt = new ReportDocument();
                cryRpt.Load(rn);
                cryRpt.DataSourceConnections.Clear();
                cryRpt.DataSourceConnections[0].SetConnection(fn, ""false);
                cryRpt.DataSourceConnections[0].SetLogon("""");
                crystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = cryRpt;
                crystalReportViewer1.Refresh();
            }

where rn is my report file and fn is my access data source.  The problem I'm having is when I go to refresh the report with the updated data source it does not seem to refresh from the pre-saved report unless I manually press F5 on the report output.  Am I missing something else here?

edit: by adding cryRpt.Refresh(); it seemed to work at least.
    • Edited by jfalberg Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:08 PM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:05 PM