Services seem to have stopped in WHS2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Logging onto the dashboard this morning, I discover that all I can see is in the attached image. No services seem to be running - what's gone wrong? Please note before offering suggestions that I am not a hyper-techie person. I am happy to get stuck in to whatever people suggest, but I'll need some instructions!! Thanks!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Ken - thanks for replying. No, I haven't installed any antivirus software. The only things I had added in were the lights correction software for HP mediasmart machines and also the My Movies add-in.

This is just such an odd issue that I'm planning to do a system re-build rather than try and fix it from its current state.

One slightly easier question though - if I'm re-installing WHS2011, do I need to de-activate the previous installation first? Will I get licensing activation issues if I don't??

• Marked as answer by HWJones Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:50 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:27 AM

All replies

• Not sure if it helps at all but running the dashboard in safe mode gives the result that all of the built-in add-ins are being treated as 'suspect' (except the 'home' add-in). Enabling any of them results in the same error message - except for the 'computers and backup' add-in which also 'crashed' and was highlighted in red.

Possibly of relevance is the fact that I was sure there were several instances of the C++ redistributable code installed on the machine previously - these now do not appear in the program listing of the control panel.

It does seem as if something has somehow been removed from the system, with the resulting foul-ups when standard add-ins are not being correctly loaded and services not started.

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:24 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:57 PM
  • Have you installed an antivirus product on your server?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:33 PM
  • Hi Ken - thanks for replying. No, I haven't installed any antivirus software. The only things I had added in were the lights correction software for HP mediasmart machines and also the My Movies add-in.

This is just such an odd issue that I'm planning to do a system re-build rather than try and fix it from its current state.

One slightly easier question though - if I'm re-installing WHS2011, do I need to de-activate the previous installation first? Will I get licensing activation issues if I don't??

• Marked as answer by HWJones Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:50 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:27 AM
  • ... do I need to de-activate the previous installation first? ...

No. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, October 12, 2012 2:28 PM
  • OK - so the rebuild has worked and no data was lost. I'll keep a close eye on it in furure in case it happens again.
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:50 PM