Flashing blue health light... RRS feed

• Question

• ... and cannot get entry into my Mediasmart Homeserver to do reset/rescue etc...?
    Just how bad is that???
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:53 PM

Answers

• Its all resolved itself.  HPMS HomeServer and WHS
    are back to perfect harmony.

Now I am getting the Blue Screen of Death
    (probably due to kb987262/977165) when I do a
    manual backup from my IBM. Have deleted
    kb987262 (and attendant kb's). Will now
    re-attempt manual backup.
    • Marked as answer by Stonechatz Sunday, February 21, 2010 5:25 PM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 1:30 PM

All replies

• Have you consulted your documentation? I'm pretty sure you'll find diagnostic codes, etc. there. Or you can download electronic versions of the documentation from the HP web site. For example, you'll find the manuals etc. for the EX475 here.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Friday, February 12, 2010 1:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stonechatz Monday, February 15, 2010 7:59 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stonechatz Monday, February 15, 2010 7:59 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Flashing blue far right light  with no hard drive lights lit?  Then your system is probably doing a checkdisk on startup or something else.  Leave it - DO NOT REBOOT OR POWEROFF.
    --
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Friday, February 12, 2010 1:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stonechatz Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Stonechatz Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:16 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Oops!  I re-booted, I powered off....... !
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:18 PM
  • As I cannot access the server in any way,
    I am assuming that I have the "Blue Flashing Light of Death"
    and that the system disk has collapsed.
    I get no response when I paperclip the Reset hole...
    Friday, February 12, 2010 8:57 PM
  • The paperclip is not the Reset Hole it's to initiaite recovery mode and has to be done at a very specific time in the boot process.

A full chkdsk of a drive can take a number of hours and then multiply by the number of drives. 

You don't say how much disk space you have got or how long you've left the server alone - I asked if it's the right light out of the set of 3 but you've not confirmed that.  Ken has given you a link to the documentation and you've not said which model you have.  We are happy to help but you have to help us out a little too.

I would leave the server powered on overnight and if it doesn't boot then you have probably screwed the data on the discs enough that Windows Home Server won't complete bootup.  In that case you can do a server recovery using the media that shipped with your server using the following guide:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01213383&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3548165

--
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:53 AM
  • Well, I am getting so many pieces of advice, I don't know
    which is right - some say chkdsk, some say sys drive collapse,
    loose connection etc etc - the right hand blue light I can
    confirm is blinking. I have let it blink for 12 hours - guess
    I can up that to 24 or even 48 to see what happens...
    But all the ideas and suggestions I do appreciate!  Thankyou :)
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:25 AM
  • I did a succesful System Restore.
    It says wait until the health light
    goes solid blue before doing any-
    thing else. I have 4 purple drive
    lights, 2 blue lights and a purple
    health light - which on page 9
    of my HPMS EX470 manual states
    Awaiting for Software Installation.
    So, conflicting with the reset info
    of Solid Blue Healthlight, should I
    simply go ahead and instal the
    software?
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:04 PM
  • Did you do a server recovery, or a factory reset? And have you reinstalled the connector software from the original CD yet? YOu need to do so before your server will be functional.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Server recovery.
    I got almost all the way to the end of the Software instal, and updates, but I
    now have a whole catalog of error messages:-

Input string was not in a correct format.
      at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
      at System.Number.ParseInt64(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt.)
      at HPConfiguration.InFile.GetLong(String key, Int64 defaultVal)
      at MediaSmartUpdate.MediaSmartUpdater.GetIniConfig()
      at MediaSmartUpdate.MediaSmartUpdater.GetSettingsValues()
      at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.HPSU.HomeServerSettingsExtender.initializeMembers(IConsoleServices svc)

:)

Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:35 PM
  • If your server recover didn't work properly then either you interrupted the recovery process or you have a failing system disc.
    --
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:51 PM
  • I now have the Home Server back up and running.
    It does data balancing, I can access all my shares,
    BUT - Network Health Light is red -
    says BACKUP Service NOT Running.

I am attempting to re-instal WHSC.
    It says cannot re-instal because
    BACKUP Service IS Running.

This is highly confusing!!!
    Any opinions as to what might
    be the cause of this anomaly?
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 9:00 AM
  • I now have the Home Server back up and running.
    It does data balancing, I can access all my shares,
    BUT - Network Health Light is red -
    says BACKUP Service NOT Running.

I am attempting to re-instal WHSC.
    It says cannot re-instal because
    BACKUP Service IS Running.

This is highly confusing!!!
    Any opinions as to what might
    be the cause of this anomaly?
    I can't speak for the pre-built servers (as mine is self-built), but when using an OEM license on a DIY server, that's not possible because you boot from the DVD (so the old OS install never starts).  You might try contacting HP about it.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:42 PM
  • Its all resolved itself.  HPMS HomeServer and WHS
    are back to perfect harmony.

Now I am getting the Blue Screen of Death
    (probably due to kb987262/977165) when I do a
    manual backup from my IBM. Have deleted
    kb987262 (and attendant kb's). Will now
    re-attempt manual backup.
    • Marked as answer by Stonechatz Sunday, February 21, 2010 5:25 PM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Ken,

I have run into the same issue.  Was away on business and could remote to the sever, however on my return it had shutdown for one reason or another.  I turned it one and got solid red drive lights flash for a moment and a flashing purple / blue health light.  Drive lights went out but the health light kept flashing blue only.  Stupid me turned the system off with a hard reset before reading the posts.  I have since left it on and have no drive lights on the reboot, but cycle through the indicator lights as normal with the blue / purple and now just a flashing blue health light.  I have a 1TB main and 6.5TB of pool drives.  I left it on when I went to bed, six hours and still flashing this morning.  What do you think 12-24 hours?

First time this has ever happened.

Thank you for the help.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:00 AM
  • I've been without my WHS for 10 months due to this problem (well that, and I bought a foreclosed home which needed most of my time... and my dog had puppies lol).  

It all started with the stupid thing bogging down to a CRAWL.  I have one of the first ones, updgraded and all, and never had this sort of problem.  Deleted/uninstalled a bunch of stuff.  No help. 

Then... reporting disk failures, bad handles/tombstones, file conflicts... what a pain.  And I have 10 TB of actual data on a 16TB capacity.... boy was I po'd...  Did the standard "widows home server" fixit program for "file conflicts" from creativecommons.org (which is a shame as this thing obliterates problematic files but at least the thing works after they're gone).  No luck.

So did the checkdisk thing on reboot... OMG I killed it after 4 days nonstop.  Had to pack up anyway.

So fastforward to my new house and I took out all the drives and manually copied each and every one of them to standalone USB 2TB drives.  None of the drives were bad by the way.  NONE.  When done (it took 2 weeks and I will never do that again--- manually copy...)  I decided to put them all back together into the WHS as I figured I could now do a complete restore or factory reset, no worry.

Blue light flashed and I just let it flash.  6 hours (plus the original 4 days from 10 months ago don't forget).... it booted up. 

Had to refresh some settings (email and whatnot) and the domain name... and yes about a dozen files were "invalid" and had to be purged... but it's working.

Mixed up one of the SATA connections and what was once a pooled storage drive became a USB/backup drive all on it's own.  WHS didn't complain about a missing drive and the files were all there so I moved them to the pool, removed the drive and re-added it back to the pool.  That was weird.

I don't have photosharing on the server website any more... not cool.  But can go to the file view and the other thingy which lets you browse files.  And webguide works like it used to (that is to say streaming never worked for video but everything else worked).

Will try to load in whiist and see if I can get a photo page up again.

But bottom line with that 3rd blinky blue light?  WAIT, WAIT, WAIT.  It might take an hour or a week.  You have no idea.  It will finish and start up again.  I know that's extremely annoying... but do you really want to go through the hassle I did with all that dang data?  (shudders).

I'm getting another 16TB setup and duplicating everything there.  (I have so much data that I can't duplicate or back it up lol  so maybe now I will automatically).

Monday, September 5, 2011 7:29 PM