windows XP not Genuine. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I want to know  can I upgrade to windows 7, from windows xp, even though the windows xp is not genuine?
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:29 PM

Answers

• Hello, I want to know  can I upgrade to windows 7, from windows xp, even though the windows xp is not genuine?

Well you can purchase a genuine Windows 7 retail full install and install that after copying off your data files.  There is no "upgrade" from XP to Win 7 only full install even with an upgrade version of Win 7.  Yes I know what you mean by upgrade but this one, as XP is not genuine, won't qualify as a upgrade product therefore you need the full retail product.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Thank you soooo much for the reply. but what did you mean after copying off your data files?

Anything that you want to save on the computer such as pictures, videos, music or things like Word documents, spreadsheets, etc. need to be copied onto a source (DVDs, external hard drive, network store, etc.) other than the computer's hard drive because when you do run the installation for Windows 7 it will overwrite all the data on the hard drive.  You will only have an operating system left and will need to reinstall all your programs and data back to the hard drive.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 12:44 AM

All replies

Well you can purchase a genuine Windows 7 retail full install and install that after copying off your data files.  There is no "upgrade" from XP to Win 7 only full install even with an upgrade version of Win 7.  Yes I know what you mean by upgrade but this one, as XP is not genuine, won't qualify as a upgrade product therefore you need the full retail product.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Thank you soooo much for the reply. but what did you mean after copying off your data files?
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:51 PM

Anything that you want to save on the computer such as pictures, videos, music or things like Word documents, spreadsheets, etc. need to be copied onto a source (DVDs, external hard drive, network store, etc.) other than the computer's hard drive because when you do run the installation for Windows 7 it will overwrite all the data on the hard drive.  You will only have an operating system left and will need to reinstall all your programs and data back to the hard drive.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 12:44 AM