unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x6976ea96 RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen this in many places but no one has posted a solution.

The MS Malware tool found a virus so I ran repair on a non-oem XP sp3 desktop after I got rid of the virus. 

During the register component phase, I get the "unknown software exception" error.  Setup (repair) does not finish.  If I try to restore files using Bart PE I can get to the point where it will ask me to activate XP.  However, the activation dialog doesn't display--just the desktop and the cursor.  No task mgr nothing, just the desktop background.  I left it that way over night and nothing ever happened.

Q1 how can I get setup (repair) to complete?  (what is 0x6976ea96 ?)
    Q2 how can I get the activation dialog to display? keep in mind you can't activate in safe mode.
    Q3 how do I stop setup from restarting?

been doing this for 4 days ... nothing works.

Monday, October 17, 2011 11:29 PM

Answers

• "John_123456789" wrote in message news:b9934edd-bdfc-48f3-a920-1126f81601c7...

I've seen this in many places but no one has posted a solution.

The MS Malware tool found Alureon.DX so I ran repair on a non-oem XP sp3 desktop after I got rid of the virus. 

During the register component phase, I get the "unknown software exception" error.  Setup (repair) does not finish.  If I try to restore files using Bart PE I can get to the point where it will ask me to activate XP.  However, the activation dialog doesn't display--just the desktop and the cursor.  No task mgr nothing, just the desktop background.  I left it that way over night and nothing ever happened.

Q2 how can I get the activation dialog to display? keep in mind you can't activate in safe mode.

You should repost this in the Answers forums – there’s nothing that we can do about activation until you have a functional system.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, October 17, 2011 11:39 PM

All replies

• "John_123456789" wrote in message news:b9934edd-bdfc-48f3-a920-1126f81601c7...

I've seen this in many places but no one has posted a solution.

The MS Malware tool found Alureon.DX so I ran repair on a non-oem XP sp3 desktop after I got rid of the virus. 

Q2 how can I get the activation dialog to display? keep in mind you can't activate in safe mode.

You should repost this in the Answers forums – there’s nothing that we can do about activation until you have a functional system.

Monday, October 17, 2011 11:39 PM
  • Ok... using restore I can get this to boot correctly.

When I try to login it asks me to activate.

I click ok but the activation dialog does not display.

Since I can't get the setup repair to work, I need to get to the update process and make repairs manually.  So I need to get past the activation process.

My biggest problem is the activation process.  I have several valid licenses. 

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Try the following:

1. Reboot your computer into "Safe Mode".

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/en-us

2. Go to Start > Run and type: %systemroot%\system32 then press the Enter key.

3. Locate these two files: wpa.dbl and wpa.bak

4. Rename the wpa.dbl file to wpaold.dbl and wpa.bak to wpaold.bak

5. Reboot your computer into Normal Mode. This will force activation on the following boot. Sometimes if those files get corrupted, they can cause this type of problem.

If the above procedure does not solve the problem, then try:

Guided Help to remove the script that interferes with Windows activation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312295/en-us

Carey Frisch
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:35 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:11 PM
  • Hi Carey,

I tried that many times... it doesn't work :(

Friday, October 21, 2011 1:15 AM
  • You might try contacting the Microsoft Consumer Support Center for assistance.
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, October 21, 2011 2:57 AM
  • "John_123456789" wrote in message news:6f84e905-0803-4d3c-81fb-0b111021e179...

Ok... using restore I can get this to boot correctly.

When I try to login it asks me to activate.

I click ok but the activation dialog does not display.

Since I can't get the setup repair to work, I need to get to the update process and make repairs manually.  So I need to get past the activation process.

My biggest problem is the activation process.  I have several valid licenses.

1. If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, do so.

2. At the command prompt, type this command exactly (space, caps, and comma are essential):

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

3. Restart.

If you were successful, your activation grace period will have been reset, giving you more time to work on the problem.

(credit – Dan&IT Associates)

Friday, October 21, 2011 8:18 AM
  • To get the activation to work you must boot into safe mode with command prompt

the type explorer.exe

then install IE8

reboot and the activation will work

Thursday, February 2, 2012 5:29 PM
  • That's an interesting solution - any chance of seeing some references??

Thursday, February 2, 2012 5:35 PM