none
Unable to Post to Forums from iPad 2 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Windows man, but I bought an iPad with cellular access for my wife, and it turns out the device is wonderful for staying connected while on the road.

I've just been on a week-long trip and found I was completely unable to post on any of the Microsoft forums from Safari on the iPad.

I don't know how you managed that, as the Safari browser on the iPad runs pretty much everything on every site, but you did.  Everything LOOKS fine - I can see all the information.  But the editor just doesn't work - the Submit button is simply non-functional.  I don't know if this is an attempt to exclude Apple users from participating, but let's face it - their tablet is currently the best, and not everyone is going to buy a Windows-based notebook or tablet to stay connected.

Please make it possible to post to the Microsoft forums from an iPad.

Thank you.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:24 PM

Answers

• There are limited things you can do. None involve the submit button and none of them work all the time.

It's often possible to lock; propose as answer; mark as answer and the equivalent unlock; unpropose; unmark.

But not much more and some days the above work and some days they don't.

So I'm taking both a portable and an iPad with me ....

Mike

P.S I find the iPad useful for quickly checking if new off-topic posts have arrived in a forum. Then I can start up a fast starting (but slower by 30 secs) PC to deal with them.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, January 23, 2012 2:21 PM grammar "a" removed
    • Marked as answer by Noel Carboni Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:07 AM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:39 PM

All replies

• Thanks, not a new request.  The editor we use doesn't support ipad/iphone.  Unfortunately, I don't have an eta for doing this but it is in our queue.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the info.  Glad to hear it's a recognized issue and that someone thinks it's important enough to fix.

I would prefer not to mark your answer as "The Answer" until the problem is actually fixed, but feel free to do so if it makes managing things easier.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:42 PM
  • There are limited things you can do. None involve the submit button and none of them work all the time.

It's often possible to lock; propose as answer; mark as answer and the equivalent unlock; unpropose; unmark.

But not much more and some days the above work and some days they don't.

So I'm taking both a portable and an iPad with me ....

Mike

P.S I find the iPad useful for quickly checking if new off-topic posts have arrived in a forum. Then I can start up a fast starting (but slower by 30 secs) PC to deal with them.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, January 23, 2012 2:21 PM grammar "a" removed
    • Marked as answer by Noel Carboni Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:07 AM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:39 PM
  • "There is an app for that".  :)  Try the onlive desktop app.  It gives you a windows 7 desktop with limited office and IE.  To actually access the internet you have to subscribe for $5 per month, but when you do you get GB speed internet.  It streams it all to the ipad.  Would allow you to do what you are wanting to do here, b/c it would be through regulary old IE that we love (and love to hate).  Not to mention it allows you to run flash on the ipad!  Hope this helps!

• Proposed as answer by Greg Hyzak Friday, March 2, 2012 3:09 PM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 3:09 PM
  • I realize that this is an old post, but: consider downloading and installing Chrome on your iPad. It works fine.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Thank you for your inputs, guys, but...

LOL, posting to the Microsoft forums isn't something I'm willing to pay an extra monthly fee for!

And as far as running Google software on any of my systems...  Google creates poorly coded apps that are generally about one step from malware because of Google's close affiliation with advertising, so I avoid it whenever possible.  Again, it's just not something I'm willing to do to be able to post here.

I'll just post from my Windows 7 workstation when I'm at it, thanks.  :)

I can easily imagine that Microsoft doesn't want to bend over backward to facilitate input from Apple users here.  And now with Microsoft marketing their own tablet, I'm sure they feel it's a differentiating factor that will spur more folks into buying Surfaces.  More power to them, but anyone who thinks limiting access to a web site to only certain classes of users can be a Good Thing is clearly misguided.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:57 PM
  • Understood, and you make a good point about advertising. But to be honest I really prefer Chrome over other browsers, find it to be stable and capable of delivering good performance, and just generally superior to Safari, IE, and Firefox. As for surface, I have no present interest in it, as it delivers worse performance than an iPad, lower resolution, and much less third party support.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:47 PM
  • I appreciate your sharing your experience, thank you.  If I run into more reasons to need an alternative browser I may well look into putting Chrome on our iPad.

Microsoft is delivering simply too little too late with the Surface for me.  But I can't say I'll never have a Microsoft tablet; I can see advantages to having one.  It would certainly have to be a full Intel implementation though, not ARM.  

And I'm an incurable optimist - I still have a hope that Microsoft will return to the realm of serious computing with a successor to Windows 8 that will embrace desktops.  Seems to me there are plenty of smart engineers at Microsoft who must be missing the same things serious Windows users are missing with Windows 8, and they have to be developing new versions on something.  I can imagine it being expensive, though.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Saturday, November 10, 2012 6:52 PM
  • I also like Chrome and prefer it to other browsers. I only use FireFox and recently installed Opera for testing Web apps. I use IE for one site which doesn't work in Chrome yet.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012 12:47 AM