Moving Drives to different SATA Controller – help needed RRS feed

• Question

• At present the motherboard on my Windows Home Server has 8 SATA ports and I have 6 identical 1-terabyte drives connected to it.   I want to install an ATTO H6F0 controller which supports 16 SATA drives and by purchasing two 8-bay 2U rack mount enclosures, I can connect both enclosures to the ATTO with four 1m External MiniSAS Cable SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 cables.  My question is wondering of the following will work.

1) Shut down the server, install the Atto card, bring the server back up and install the drivers

2) Shut down the server again connect the first 8-bay enclosure

3) leave the 1-Terabute boot drive in the server but move the other 5 drives to the 8-bay

4) Boot the server and WHS finds the drives with no issues

5) Update the disk manager ad in with the new locations of the drives

WHS_retail version
    Monday, June 29, 2009 4:21 PM

All replies

• Why not leave your current drives alone, and install additional drives in the external enclosure as you need them?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 29, 2009 4:35 PM
  • That is an option and my existing Silverstone Case that is housing the 6 drives and 2 CD-ROM's is rack mountable, but my goal is to eventually rack mount my existing 5 plu drives plus quite a few more and clear out some of the SATA slots so that I can attachd 5 SATA CD-ROM drives to the moterboard.   I'm using a cool program called My Movies that runs on WHS and rips movies and my Windows Media Center PC and WMC extenders can see them.  This requires a huge amount fo space hence my expansion.  I may just buy a couple of 2-Terabyte drives and move the data off the server before it gets to big and then rebuld it from scratch
    WHS_retail version
    Monday, June 29, 2009 6:21 PM