Help with OneCare Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!
    I have Windows Live OneCare installed on my computer and am using Windows Vista.  All was going well until my hard drive pretty much crashed.  I called Dell and they told me that they were having trouble with the automatic updates with Windows Vista.  After many attempts with the people at Dell, I figured it was hopeless.  I turned off my computer and left it off for a few days.  Turned it on and it worked!  All my pictures were still there as well.  The problem is that now Windows defender keeps popping up.  Can I just turn it off or do I have to uninstall it?  If so how do I go about doing this?
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:46 AM

Answers

• You can't uninstall Defender, but you can disable it. In the start menu search box, type defender. Click on Windows Defender in the results list.
    If you get a prompt that says Windows Defender is turned off, click Close and then head over to this thread:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareupdate/thread/297455ff-0484-4dd6-9627-ca1b0e30b015 and scroll down to the answer.

If Defender opens up, click on Options and scroll all the way down to the administrator options. Uncheck the box to use Defender and then Save. This will turn Defender off.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:02 PM