none
WHS2011 - RD CALS? Remote Desktop CAL and licensing server RRS feed

• Question

• So. I installed everything stock then got errors that I have a 120 day grace period on remote desktop CALs. I set up a licensing server and went to license my CALs but tried my WHS2011 license as the key and didn't seem to work for the pak. I have no other code in my packaging. How does one use the ten clients for WHS2011 so that I can keep remoting into my home server three months from now. I read a MS tech blog saying that 2011 doesn't use CALs like 2003/2008. Just want to make sure I can remote in, not doing any fancy terminal services otherwise.
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:55 AM

All replies

• It sounds like you did more than "install everything stock". :)

First, Windows Home Server isn't a TS server, per se. It allows remote desktop connections to the server, using "Remote Desktop for Administration" mode (max 2 connections plus a console connection), and it acts as a remote desktop gateway for other computers in your home, but no additional licenses need to be installed for any of that, and no additional Windows components, roles, etc. are required.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 5:06 AM
  • Here is the error under licensing diagnosis:

The Remote Desktop Session Host server is in Remote Desktop for Administration licensing mode and No Redirector Mode, but license server runt does not have any installed licenses with the following attributes:
    Product version: Windows Server 2008 or Windows Home Server
    Licensing mode: Remote Desktop for Administration
    License type: RDS CALs

Suggested resolution:

Use RD Licensing Manager to install the appropriate licenses on the license server.

Thursday, December 8, 2011 5:34 AM
  • and then that points me to https://activate.microsoft.com/ for a license key pack. Maybe I'm making this too complicated.
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 5:38 AM
  • ... Maybe I'm making this too complicated.

This, I'd say. :)

There are no CALs for Windows Home Server; it permits you to join a maximum of 10 client computers, etc. but this is not handled by installing CALs, and can't be extended by installing CALs.

When you install the Windows Home Server 2011 connector software on a client computer (running a version of Windows that supports remote desktop connections), you can use the remote desktop gateway built into the Remote Access web site to connect to that computer from anywhere. From within your home network you can connect to your home server using the dashboard or using remote desktop (though the latter isn't recommended, as the tools on the server desktop include things that could damage Windows Home Server core functionality). If connecting via remote desktop, you have a very limited number of simultaneous connections due to the licensing mode, and changing the licensing mode is not permitted by the EULA.

Long story short: what I think you want to do, namely use Windows Home Server as a low cost Terminal Services server equivalent, is not permitted by the EULA, and is likely to be difficult or impossible to configure without breaking core Windows Home Server functionality. The functionality that I've desecribed above is "baked in" to the product, and requires no "after the fact" configuration, licensing, etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 9, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Ken, 

I'd like to follow up on this; I installed WHS 2011 as a VM in the Hyper-V role running on Server 2008r2.  I am also getting the same licensing error; my issue / question is that I get this prompt when I 'connect' using the virtual machine connection application, but before I launch the server dashboard.  I'm concerned that, since the VM is 'headless' I'll be getting the same error every time I try to connect to the server using Hyper-V, and won't be able to connect to the server to activate the dashboard...in 27 days.  Is there something I need to do within Hyper-V to allow me to continue to access the WHS 2011 VM server desktop?  Thanks! 

• Edited by Kambot Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:45 AM clarified
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:41 AM