Enable Add-in Install/Uninstall logging/debug? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to figure out an uninstall problem with an add-in on my WHS v1.  When the add-in is uninstalled through the WHS console, it fails because the uninstaller can't properly disable it's background service.  Unfortunately, I can't give any additional details to the developer.  Is there a way to log/debug the add-in uninstall process to help pinpoint the failure?

(The add-in is SageTV for WHS 7 Beta, for what it's worth.)

Thanks,

-Carlton

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 4:10 PM

Answers

• No, I'm afraid not, at least not beyond the logs that are already created and which I'm sure you've already supplied to the developer.

I'll also note in passing that this could conceivably be a permissions issue. I don't use SageTV though …

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Carlton Bale Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:43 PM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:45 PM

All replies

• No, I'm afraid not, at least not beyond the logs that are already created and which I'm sure you've already supplied to the developer.

I'll also note in passing that this could conceivably be a permissions issue. I don't use SageTV though …

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Carlton Bale Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:43 PM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:45 PM
  • Since addin packages are installed/uninstalled by the Windows Installer service you could try and configure Windows Installer logging on your WHS. Follow this MS KB article on how to do that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314852

You can either use RDP or the Advanced Admin Console AddIn to gain access to Regedit.exe (both ways are unsupported, though). 

Andreas Miceli - Author of the Advanced Admin Console AddIn
    Saturday, December 4, 2010 1:38 AM