To much hardware? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to install Home Server for use at home. I currently have an old server (3 yrs) from HP, DL380 G4.
    It has two physical processors 3.6Ghz, 6GB of RAM and six SCSI hard drives. My question is will home server work on this type of hardware?
    For example does it recognize  two physical processors and SCSI drives as typically its installed on smaller PC's with one dual core physical processor and sata drives etc.

Thank you.

Regards

Brandon
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Brandon,
    depends from some factors. The size of the drive matters, since RAID is not supported, the system disk should have at least 65 GByte to install. Also the RAID controller should allow to address the disks as single drives, and you may have to provide drivers for the mass storage controller on a floppy drive.
    Also I would assume, that machine consumes a lot more of power, than wanted in an average home scenario. Not sure about the noise. So while I would use such a system as corporate WHS under certain cirumstances, I would avoid it at home.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:31 PM
  • I want to install Home Server for use at home. I currently have an old server (3 yrs) from HP, DL380 G4.
    It has two physical processors 3.6Ghz, 6GB of RAM and six SCSI hard drives. My question is will home server work on this type of hardware?
    For example does it recognize  two physical processors and SCSI drives as typically its installed on smaller PC's with one dual core physical processor and sata drives etc.

Thank you.

Regards

Brandon

In addition to what Olaf said, WHS is a 32-bit only OS, so you can cut the RAM down to 4 GB.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:44 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I was more concerned whether or not the two physical processors would show, but the fact that WHS doesn’t support raid blows me away!
    As for the noise... Yes, it’s noisy, hence why it lives in the basement.

Q: Since WHS is only 32bit, will it only use up to 4gb, or will it show 3.25gb but still use the remaining memory. (Just not as efficiently)

Thanks

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:15 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I was more concerned whether or not the two physical processors would show, but the fact that WHS doesn’t support raid blows me away!

RAID is not supported because it's not something the target audience (non-technical users) would understand nor how to use.

As for the noise... Yes, it’s noisy, hence why it lives in the basement.

Q: Since WHS is only 32bit, will it only use up to 4gb, or will it show 3.25gb but still use the remaining memory. (Just not as efficiently)

Thanks
    It should recognize and use all 4 GB.  It did for a friend of mine anyway...
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:52 AM
  • WHS uses a much simpler way of data duplication and drive extender. It matches the average whs users' abilities and understanding much better and it works great for me.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:13 PM
  • Even though the RAID is not supported, it will just see it as one big drive.  Depeding on your controller (incase you use an Add-in one) you can add drivers for other controllers also.  I have installed WHS on a few 380's and 360's, it works like a champ.  I have also installed it on a 2 proc (socket) quad core box (had it lying around) and it works great . . .and sees all 8 processors too . . . . I am not sure if that helps . . just wanted to put in my 2 cents.

Regrds,

Rich
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:23 PM