How to get back your original Path for your System Properties>Advanced>Environment Variables. RRS feed

• Question

• In my 8am programming class the other day we were told we needed to copy and paste some information in our environment variables path.  So i chose edit and copied the necessary information to do so.  When I pasted the information I accidently pasted over the current string of characters and lost them as a result.  This is no good.  My java scripts are not running properly as a result.  How do I get the initial information back in my path?

• Moved by Mr. Wharty Friday, September 14, 2012 8:39 AM Not a training and certification question (From:Training and Certification)
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:38 PM

Answers

• There is an environment variable called Path used by the scripts to execute on your machine.

You are going to need to get the path information from someone else's machine.

• Open a Command prompt window on another machine.
    • Type PATH and click <ENTER>.
    • Write down the path exactly.

Once you have it, you can set it on your machine.

• Right-click the My Computer or just the Computer icon on your Start menu or on your desktop and click Properties.
    • Click to select the Advanced tab.
    • Click Environment Variables.
    • In the System Variables area, scroll through the list of variables until you find Path.
    • Select it.
    • Click the Edit button.
    • Set the Variable value by typing it in (just like the other computer) and then click OK.
    • Click OK and then OK again to close the other two dialog boxes.

Your PATH environment variable should now be set.

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

• Edited by Davin Mickelson Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Horizon_Net Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, September 14, 2012 8:39 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:36 PM

All replies

• There is an environment variable called Path used by the scripts to execute on your machine.

You are going to need to get the path information from someone else's machine.

• Open a Command prompt window on another machine.
    • Type PATH and click <ENTER>.
    • Write down the path exactly.

Once you have it, you can set it on your machine.

• Right-click the My Computer or just the Computer icon on your Start menu or on your desktop and click Properties.
    • Click to select the Advanced tab.
    • Click Environment Variables.
    • In the System Variables area, scroll through the list of variables until you find Path.
    • Select it.
    • Click the Edit button.
    • Set the Variable value by typing it in (just like the other computer) and then click OK.
    • Click OK and then OK again to close the other two dialog boxes.

Your PATH environment variable should now be set.

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

• Edited by Davin Mickelson Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Horizon_Net Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, September 14, 2012 8:39 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Hi,

this forum is about Microsoft 'Trainings and Certifications'. You should follow the description from Davin. For further questions you should ask them in the appropriate forum. There you should get better help and support.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:08 PM
  • This is a training and certification forum.  As your question relates to neither of these, it will be moved to the Off-topic forum.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, September 14, 2012 8:39 AM