Cannot Connect Client to WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have read all the threads or disjointed fixes. To the best of my ability I have complied with or attempted all these fixes. I seem to be the only poor soul in 2013 to try this. Neither an XP nor a W7 will connect.

I have run the CONNECT routine so many times that it now runs at the "speed of heat".

Fails directly after entering the password.

I would like ONE CHECKLIST that when completed, I am installed. WHS worked VERY well. So far WHS 2011 only runs on the server. I do understand ROCKET SCIENCE and so far this is VOODOO.

Sunday, November 17, 2013 1:42 PM

Answers

• I have never once had a client fail to connect to WHS 2011, and I've never had to apply any "disjointed fixes" to do so.

Are you attempting to connect your clients using the proper WHS 2011 method?  You do this from your browser by navigating to http://your_server_name/connect/. You cannot connect the clients by running a connector install from the \Software share on the server.

If this doesn't work, then I'd suggest looking at the information here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/troubleshooting-2.aspx

The only other thing I could suggest is that there may be something in your environment that is inhibiting communication between your client and server computers.  Are you using 3rd party firewall or anti-virus software?  If so, I suggest turning them off temporarily and retrying your client connection. I would also apply all of the updates and patches from Windows Update to your server and all of your PCs.

If none of this works, I would check the event logs on your clients to see if there are any entries pertaining to your issue. That might point the way to figuring out what is going on.  Good luck.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, December 5, 2013 10:01 AM
    • Edited by Gary Voth Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:50 AM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 10:08 PM
  • Sorry for the late reply. It sounds like you reinstalled WHS 2011 and then were able to successfully connect your Windows 7 client? That's progress.

I'm not fully clear on your configuration, but I'm going to speculate a little. First, the "client backup database" is not a database per se ala WHS v1; it is simply a shared folder like any of the other built-in shares configured by WHS 2011. You can set it up on any of the data disks installed on your server. Like all shares, it cannot span multiple disks but must fit on a single disk. If you wish to include it in Server Backup, it must be on a 2Tb MBR disk or smaller (and see below).

One of the things that trip people up in coming to WHS 2011 from WHS v1 is that the two products are really different in philosophy and outlook. WHS v1 was built by an independent team and layered on top of Windows Server 2003, with very little dependencies on the core OS (beyond the normal networking and file sharing stuff).  It's feature set was highly targeted for home media enthusiasts. WHS 2011 was built by the core Small Business Server team, and a ton of stuff was ripped out of the v1 product (particularly drive pooling) and replaced with native Windows Server 2008 services. These new OS dependencies have real implications for how the server is configured and managed.  Knowledge with WHS v1 doesn't necessarily transfer over.

The most significant practical limitations (outside of the lack of a storage pool), have to do with volume size limits, disk partitions, and client and server backup:

1. First, in WHS 2011 there is no notion of a "full server backup and restore" that includes everything.  The maximum size of Server Backup is 2Tb. This means that all of the server data that you wish to include in Server Backup, including the OS disk, cannot exceed 2Tb in total. (Which means if you have 6Tb of ripped Blu-Rays, you have to find some other backup strategy for that data.)   

2. By far the simplest way to use Server Backup is to include entire disks in the backup set with the aim of being able to do a full disk restore in the event of a failure. Because there is no drive pool in WHS 2011, each disk is self contained; there are no tombstones or duplicate shares spread across multiple disks creating server-wide dependencies. It is important to note that the backup set can include multiple 2Tb disks as long as the total amount of data being backed up does not exceed 2Tb. Disks larger than 2Tb cannot be included in Server Backup.

3. As there is no folder duplication in WHS 2011, Server Backup is the sole native means of ensuring data recoverability in case of drive failure.  So given the 2Tb limitation, you really have to prioritize what you want to include in Server Backup.

4. On the server, any share that you wish to include in Server Backup must reside on an MBR disk partition of 2Tb or less in size. (Technically WHS 2011 can work with server disks having GPT partitions of arbitrary size, but shares residing on these disks cannot be included in Server Backup.)

5. The identical limitation exists for dynamic disks (of any size). WHS can use and create shares on them, but these shares cannot be included in Server Backup.

6. On the client, GPT partitions and dynamic disks are not supported at all. Client backup will fail. Essentially, any disk you want to include in Client Backup must be 2Tb MBR or smaller.

These things are essential to know, but not well covered in Microsoft's documentation, and not obvious to those coming to WHS 2011 from WHS v1. Forgive me if I've covered anything you already know, but it sounded like maybe one or more of these things could have been tripping you up.

• Edited by Gary Voth Saturday, November 30, 2013 10:03 PM
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 9:49 PM
  • Thank you for your kind reply. After the full reinstall, things have gone better. I did a full "bare metal" restore in a W7 machine Friday. I will now settle down and read the two books on WHS2011.

I appreciate your patience.
    Dave

Problem solved, REINSTALL!

Sunday, December 1, 2013 2:08 AM

All replies

• I have never once had a client fail to connect to WHS 2011, and I've never had to apply any "disjointed fixes" to do so.

Are you attempting to connect your clients using the proper WHS 2011 method?  You do this from your browser by navigating to http://your_server_name/connect/. You cannot connect the clients by running a connector install from the \Software share on the server.

If this doesn't work, then I'd suggest looking at the information here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/troubleshooting-2.aspx

The only other thing I could suggest is that there may be something in your environment that is inhibiting communication between your client and server computers.  Are you using 3rd party firewall or anti-virus software?  If so, I suggest turning them off temporarily and retrying your client connection. I would also apply all of the updates and patches from Windows Update to your server and all of your PCs.

If none of this works, I would check the event logs on your clients to see if there are any entries pertaining to your issue. That might point the way to figuring out what is going on.  Good luck.

• Edited by Gary Voth Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:50 AM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 10:08 PM
  • Also check your .NET framework on the clients. The few times I've got a problem with the connector was related to this.

Luc.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Thank  you for  your response. NET 4 update did not help but I did try that.

1. There had been an earlier power interruption. Read some individuals had Re-installed WHS.
    2. Restored System from early full backup. Would only restore System or Data but not both at the same time?
    3. No help  for client install.
    4. Re-restored system with install usb, did windows updates, then  restored data.
    5. Client installed normally Windows 7. Not attempted XP.
    6. Attempted manual full backup of server. Insufficient memory/disk space? Entire backup would have been 8mgb!
    7. Scheduled a full server backup next hour. It ran. Alert on C: System disk. Scheduled ChkDsk. Successful.
    8. Overnight client scheduled for backup.
    9. Early tomorrow another server backup is scheduled.

Almost anything seems able to corrupt client database. Can I just restore just that folder? Where is it?

Does any of this sound logical? I hope not to keep re-installing.

One really needs to be able to bare metal restore. (Both Client and Server!)

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:50 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply. It sounds like you reinstalled WHS 2011 and then were able to successfully connect your Windows 7 client? That's progress.

I'm not fully clear on your configuration, but I'm going to speculate a little. First, the "client backup database" is not a database per se ala WHS v1; it is simply a shared folder like any of the other built-in shares configured by WHS 2011. You can set it up on any of the data disks installed on your server. Like all shares, it cannot span multiple disks but must fit on a single disk. If you wish to include it in Server Backup, it must be on a 2Tb MBR disk or smaller (and see below).

One of the things that trip people up in coming to WHS 2011 from WHS v1 is that the two products are really different in philosophy and outlook. WHS v1 was built by an independent team and layered on top of Windows Server 2003, with very little dependencies on the core OS (beyond the normal networking and file sharing stuff).  It's feature set was highly targeted for home media enthusiasts. WHS 2011 was built by the core Small Business Server team, and a ton of stuff was ripped out of the v1 product (particularly drive pooling) and replaced with native Windows Server 2008 services. These new OS dependencies have real implications for how the server is configured and managed.  Knowledge with WHS v1 doesn't necessarily transfer over.

The most significant practical limitations (outside of the lack of a storage pool), have to do with volume size limits, disk partitions, and client and server backup:

1. First, in WHS 2011 there is no notion of a "full server backup and restore" that includes everything.  The maximum size of Server Backup is 2Tb. This means that all of the server data that you wish to include in Server Backup, including the OS disk, cannot exceed 2Tb in total. (Which means if you have 6Tb of ripped Blu-Rays, you have to find some other backup strategy for that data.)   

2. By far the simplest way to use Server Backup is to include entire disks in the backup set with the aim of being able to do a full disk restore in the event of a failure. Because there is no drive pool in WHS 2011, each disk is self contained; there are no tombstones or duplicate shares spread across multiple disks creating server-wide dependencies. It is important to note that the backup set can include multiple 2Tb disks as long as the total amount of data being backed up does not exceed 2Tb. Disks larger than 2Tb cannot be included in Server Backup.

3. As there is no folder duplication in WHS 2011, Server Backup is the sole native means of ensuring data recoverability in case of drive failure.  So given the 2Tb limitation, you really have to prioritize what you want to include in Server Backup.

4. On the server, any share that you wish to include in Server Backup must reside on an MBR disk partition of 2Tb or less in size. (Technically WHS 2011 can work with server disks having GPT partitions of arbitrary size, but shares residing on these disks cannot be included in Server Backup.)

5. The identical limitation exists for dynamic disks (of any size). WHS can use and create shares on them, but these shares cannot be included in Server Backup.

6. On the client, GPT partitions and dynamic disks are not supported at all. Client backup will fail. Essentially, any disk you want to include in Client Backup must be 2Tb MBR or smaller.

These things are essential to know, but not well covered in Microsoft's documentation, and not obvious to those coming to WHS 2011 from WHS v1. Forgive me if I've covered anything you already know, but it sounded like maybe one or more of these things could have been tripping you up.

• Edited by Gary Voth Saturday, November 30, 2013 10:03 PM
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 9:49 PM
  • Thank you for your kind reply. After the full reinstall, things have gone better. I did a full "bare metal" restore in a W7 machine Friday. I will now settle down and read the two books on WHS2011.

I appreciate your patience.
    Dave

Problem solved, REINSTALL!

Sunday, December 1, 2013 2:08 AM