• General discussion

• Ok, this is OT, but I really do not care this time! Please vote:

Hard to read forums

Oh, and make this a sticky.

EDIT: Forgot to say: 

Armin

• Changed type Armin Zingler Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:59 AM discussion
    • Edited by Armin Zingler Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:01 AM
    • Moved by Jie Bao Monday, August 27, 2012 8:24 AM (From:Visual Basic General)
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:59 AM

All replies

• Okay mean face was overboard but agree that the colors of this forum do not work they are more distracting then helpful sometimes.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:19 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:19 PM
  • And alllllllllllllllll this room but we have this tiny little narrow peep-hole to type in now.

First they muck up the code block editor and now this. What's next - upside down text in duotone?

Please call me Frank :)

Forgot to add mine too:

Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Sorry The Thinker, but it's really making me angry if the working things are changed and the not-working things are never fixed. Keep that like it was! It's anyway so much more time consuming since the news server's been shut down! Waiting for servers to respond, not knowing which messages are read, not being able to mark messages as read or unread, limitation of indentation level, complicated navigation, complicated swithcing between threaded and flat view, etc etc etc. Really, these forums are a PITA (<- bolded text, but it's not displayed correctly anymore) and I've been to many forums.

Ok, too much OT now. But obviously never aynthing chagnes if we don't scream loud enough.

Armin

Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Ok, too much OT now. But obviously never aynthing chagnes if we don't scream loud enough.

Armin

Armin, there seems to be a consensus. I did a bit of research and the results of the survey are shown here.

Sometimes it's just too obvious...

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:19 PM
  • This was done to match with this ugly new metro style

Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:14 PM
  • To make matters worse, they pretty well botched up the Code Block creation tool a while back; everyone here has heard me gripe about - leading me to post on my own site(s).

However, most don't do that - they use the default one. That was already difficult to read in the past (with MIE at least) because they didn't account for the last line or two being covered up by the horizontal scroll bar.

NOW with it only being about ten damn pixels wide (ok, obviously an exaggeration, but...), it's VERY hard to read code that someone has put here.

You have to read a bit ... go to the bottom and scroll it over ... go back up top and read a little more of what you were reading and ... dang what was the first part again?

Talk about untenable - they have now made this forum all but USELESS for its intended purpose.

It's abundantly clear to everyone BUT Microsoft that the USERS hate this ... and it's also clear that the developers of this neuvo fashion art horsesh..t interface is NOT being used by the people who DESIGNED it.

... Dear MS: Please fire your nephew.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:16 PM

What's *new* with this Metro style? For me. it looks like being decades old. (Like a 0.3 alpha version of the early 1980s ...)

Regards,

Thorsten

Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:56 PM

What's *new* with this Metro style? For me. it looks like being decades old. (Like a 0.3 alpha version of the early 1980s ...)

Regards,

Thorsten

+1 and agreed

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:09 PM
  • Ain't it pretty!
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:19 PM
  • Ain't it pretty!

That's not the adjective that springs to mind...

Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:35 PM
  • There is a way to make the text black and not that dull light gray they think is “cool” … but you watch, I say that and they’ll have changed the code to force it to override what I put here in HTML.

When Crazy said “Metro”, I hadn’t thought of it but I bet he’s right. If so then all this is a moot point; they’re not going to change it.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:44 PM
  • Well the hits just keep rolling here ...

Click on the Library link at the top. Tell me, please, that in my frustration I just can't see where they moved the search area to. Did they just remove it totally?? I wanted to show the ".ToArray" ... I'm not about to weedle through ...

I'm missing it, right? I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other - is that it?

Never mind - I found it. Another "fuity" looking ... whatever. I swear these idiots could screw up a one-man funeral procession.
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:47 PM
  • There is a web site for this forum?  Who knew???  :-)

Seriously, I use the NNTP bridge 99% of the time, so I did not know of the "upgrade".  I agree the web site is hard to read.

--
    Mike
    Friday, August 17, 2012 12:04 AM
  • Yeah, a significant style change this time, and much need improvement.  I believe some subsequent upgrades will be made later. Let's discuss it in http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/suggest/thread/394ac0d4-19a1-4b24-9a6b-e2726d980228

Best regards,

Shanks Zen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:35 AM
  • I'm a newbie and even I can tell this abortion was designed by an idiot. In the military we called this GIGO - Garbage In Garbage Out. Looks like some retro's chick crap leftover from the set of Laugh In.

Whatever team designed this should be sent packing on a three day trip in the Sahara with a one day supply of food. 

You've taught me everything I know but not everything you know.

Friday, August 17, 2012 9:26 AM

Regards,

Thorsten

You have to remember that "Metro" is merely a design philosophy and we are seeing only one interpretation of that philosophy (of course it happens to be done by the people who introduced metro).   Metro-izing all MS websites and products in a top-to-bottom, TPS report cover sheet way is shameless marketing and in many cases it has produced less usable and less appealing user experiences.  Have you noticed the all caps menu items in Office 2013 (Azure portal too I think)?  That is supposedly in keeping with Metro but IMO is an inane distraction.  See here where it almost made it into VS11 but was fought ferociously and ultimately got dropped (the language MVPs were quite vocal :)

However, I think there is much merit to the design principle and it can be very effective as a UX - especially in touch devices that do not need or want the burden of a pointer (which has defined the standard interface we consume on the internet).  It is a forward-thinking concept that is stuck in the present unfortunately.

Blog: http://codemidden.wordpress.com

Friday, August 17, 2012 12:21 PM
  • I wouldn't mind the interface but the awful part about this is that on my monitor I have two inches of wasted (margin) space on each side of the content. That makes the content appear scrunched.

Looks fine on my Windows 7 Phone in IE, but I still have to zoom.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Friday, August 17, 2012 12:48 PM

However, I think there is much merit to the design principle and it can be very effective as a UX - especially in touch devices that do not need or want the burden of a pointer (which has defined the standard interface we consume on the internet).  ...

Hi,

then they should use this style in mobile/touch devices and not for use with desktop computers the people actually *work* with. They should have learned from the Vista-period and be talking to and with their customers instead of dictating things a lot of people (and by buying windows their financial supporters) dont want and dont like.

They simply could make two OS.

Regards,

Thorsten

Friday, August 17, 2012 12:51 PM
  • I think some versions are only released to make people also buy the next version hoping for improvements.

Armin

Friday, August 17, 2012 12:52 PM
  • I think some versions are only released to make people also buy the next version hoping for improvements.

Armin

Hi Armin,

good point, but *people* learned from vista and simply may wait for the next release (with a StartMenu again etc.)

Regards,

Thorsten

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Dig,

You have to remember that "Metro" is merely a design philosophy…

Wait … stop there.

That implies people who have cognitive thought processing – which is evidently not the case here.

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:34 PM
  • I actually like the interface...  but hey i walk around with a Windows Phone and created Metro style Apps myself :-)   and use Windows 8 and Visual studio 2012 on my main  home dev computer since yesterday so yeahhh i embrace the future ;-)

But i agree with Paul that i do not like the wasted space in this new design

My Code gallery contributions
    My site
    My Linkedin Profile

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:00 PM
  • Michel,

Embracing the future is one thing; embracing Microsoft's forced on us no option in the matter vision of the future is something quite a bit different.

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:07 PM
  • Yes I agree on this - firstly I noticed that the menu design on the forums were hopeless. I remember seeing some of the same on TechNet (do I remember correctly?) some time ago, and didn't like it.

Now that we've moved to this format here too, I dislike.

We can't use bold text here. That annoys me.

EDIT: WOO I found a way!!!

I have to press the HTML button and find the <strong> and </strong>, replace it with <span style="font-weight: bold;"> and </span>!

It's a bit overcomplicated though, and the standard <strong> and <b> should work too. Fix it!

I hope we can return to the old style.

If a post is helpful to you or solves a problem, remember to mark it as answer, propose it as answer or vote up.
    Check out my development so far!

• Edited by bilde2910 Friday, August 17, 2012 6:17 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 6:15 PM
  • I'm wondering if the new constricted width was done to meet some sort of requirement for tablet devices. 

Blog: http://codemidden.wordpress.com

Saturday, August 18, 2012 11:53 AM
  • Hi ALL,

I vote that the developers of this forum should add in the feature of being able

to switch between the 'old-style' of the forums and this new style and possibly a few other

layout  or / and colour schemes.

'

To the MS forum development team, have you ever heard about CSS stylesheets?

Take the switchable THEME of this website for example.>>

http://ultravox.org.uk/

'

Surely you can add a cookie or a field to your database ( like a setting ) in order to remember a forum-users' preferred forum style?

Regards,

profile for John Anthony Oliver at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Click this link to see the NEW way of how to insert a picture into a forum post.

Installing VB6 on Windows 7

App Hub for Windows Phone & XBOX 360 developers.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:08 PM
  • Hi ALL ( again ),

The old style still remains in some sections.  :-O

See the "Forum issues" area.>>

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/threads

where I think this thread may be might get moved to.

'

Join in the rant over this forum style here.>>

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/114d06ee-0b09-453c-a7af-5e8b03bb7706

Regards,

profile for John Anthony Oliver at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Click this link to see the NEW way of how to insert a picture into a forum post.

Installing VB6 on Windows 7

App Hub for Windows Phone & XBOX 360 developers.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:11 PM
  • I've gotten back the old view now :D

There should be some selection where you can choose between the layouts - that would be great!

- bilde2910

If a post is helpful to you or solves a problem, remember to mark it as answer, propose it as answer or vote up.
    Check out my development so far!

Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Michel,

And did you then use IE10 in my situation the tiles are completely disappeared using that one,

Success
    Cor

Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

additionally:

My eyes are getting tired about 10 times quicker now when trying to read these forums in rooms with electrical light on. The worst thing is the cyan hover color (and the contrast to the white bg) of the non bolded thread-titles in the main view of each forum...

Regards,

Thorsten

Saturday, August 18, 2012 7:59 PM
  • I don`t notice annything strange , works all fine here .

My site
    My Linkedin Profile

Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:06 AM
  • And you see also the tiles which I don't have in IE 10? This is the view I've with Google Chrome

Success
    Cor

Sunday, August 19, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Hi Cor,

with IE9, no tiles, no lines, no nothing to discriminate between threads or single posts...

Regards,

Thorsten

Sunday, August 19, 2012 2:21 PM
  • So sometime soon, it will only be accessible using Windows 8 ? </s>

Sunday, August 19, 2012 6:08 PM
  • I have that same view in Both Windows 7 with IE9 and on my Windows 8 Machine with IE 10 , strange .....

My site
    My Linkedin Profile

Monday, August 20, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

Most of the time I read forum contents via RSS feeds on Outlook 2007.

I just read the forum via IE8 on Win7 SP1 x64, nothing strange, flashy or unreadable.

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Monday, August 20, 2012 4:30 PM