none
Techie installed a pirated win xp pro version over my original OEM win xp home version RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased my Sony xp home computer and it came preinstalled with the OEM version of win xp home. I have the original certificate of authenticity, but the version being used in my computer is what the techie put in about a year later while he was doing some sort of maintenance on my unit with some sort of pirated version of win xp pro.

I have the original OEM installation files on my hard-drive (not CD's)  and might be able to restore it to my original OEM home version.

My question. Is there a way to simply "downgrade" or update my win xp so that I'm using the original software which hopefully will get validated ? or do I have to make a complete new reinstallation which entails needing to prepare all of my drivers, installation files, etc...

Sunday, June 3, 2007 5:56 AM

Answers

• In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 6:00 AM
  • thanks will try...and advise you later on...

Sunday, June 3, 2007 6:02 AM
  • Anonymous100,

Unfortunately, there is no Microsoft-supported method of doing a downgrade installation to make an in-place change from XP Pro to XP Home.  A clean installation is required to change from Pro to Home.

Since you say your Sony still has the on-disk recovery partition intact, using the Sony-supported recovery procedure is certainly the recommended way to get the job done, and this process should be reasonably painless.  Be sure to back up and offload any data that you do not want to lose, since typically running the recovery will destroy all user data on the hard disk drive.

IME Sony provides excellent driver download support for their computers on their web site.

Sunday, June 3, 2007 11:36 AM
  • Anonymous,

I would also like to add additional information to Dan's post. Please make a back up copy of the recovery partion as well. This will be a benefit for future problems should the need arise.  Also you may need to add or remove programs from Windows XP along the way and having the disc will allow you to perform these functions. Also should the partion be corrupt I recommend visiting Sony Customer Service and explain the situation.  In turn they may be able to supply you with a recovery CD.  Have a great day and please post back if we may be of further assistance.

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA and WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 12:22 AM

All replies

• In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 6:00 AM
  • thanks will try...and advise you later on...

Sunday, June 3, 2007 6:02 AM
  • Anonymous100,

Unfortunately, there is no Microsoft-supported method of doing a downgrade installation to make an in-place change from XP Pro to XP Home.  A clean installation is required to change from Pro to Home.

Since you say your Sony still has the on-disk recovery partition intact, using the Sony-supported recovery procedure is certainly the recommended way to get the job done, and this process should be reasonably painless.  Be sure to back up and offload any data that you do not want to lose, since typically running the recovery will destroy all user data on the hard disk drive.

IME Sony provides excellent driver download support for their computers on their web site.

Sunday, June 3, 2007 11:36 AM
  • Anonymous,

I would also like to add additional information to Dan's post. Please make a back up copy of the recovery partion as well. This will be a benefit for future problems should the need arise.  Also you may need to add or remove programs from Windows XP along the way and having the disc will allow you to perform these functions. Also should the partion be corrupt I recommend visiting Sony Customer Service and explain the situation.  In turn they may be able to supply you with a recovery CD.  Have a great day and please post back if we may be of further assistance.

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA and WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 12:22 AM