A few genral Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering the speeds I run at, In general what determines them. From my pc, and others on my network for that mater, A down load from my ex hd to the server is about 30 mbs from the in hd about 38 mbps If I down load both at the same time the speed of each stays about the same maby a little slower with a combined speed of about 65 to 70 mps. If I down load from my flash card (compact flash or my sd card) I see 112 mps speeds. When I go To my old server whs03 it will start at that speed then after about 1 gig drop to kps till it just fails. Is the type of drives the main factor here? The new server has more ram than whs11 can use, lots of processor and deceit sata II hd's. The old server has 4gig ram good proessors  but pre sata hd's (peida) I think they called it? I wonder is it the hd speeds that are determing the total speeds here? all items are on gblan and show that as what thay are hooked to. Also I have been told that every time you copy a file you lose some quality . Is this true? when I rearrange from this hard drive to that one then over to a bigger hd do I lose quality in my pics and video's? or is that myth? Thans for you inputs Mike   
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:35 PM

All replies

• HD speed themselves may have a effect but my suspicion is that your external HD is USB and that that may have a lower throughput. Having said that, I am not sure (if I understand correctly) what would cause downloading two files from the same HD to result in a combined download speed that is higher than the througput of a single file from the same HD. How are you measuring? Windows explorer move/copy window with more details? Try resmon.exe for system analysis and some HD-specific benchmark tool. You should be able to determine a lot.

On the other question: NO! Quality of files does not degrade when copying. It does not degrade when you copy a copy etc. That's what happened with analog media (like cassete tapes).

De/recompressing mp3/video files may be another story though. But that is a whole other animal.

Saturday, March 1, 2014 1:03 PM
  • Thanks umfriend,

When I talked about downloading 2 at a time that would be from my internal and external at the same time. And yes the external is usb. I just can't believe how much faster the flash cards are WOW. And yes it is windows move copy giving the speeds (more info)

Saturday, March 1, 2014 8:52 PM
  • Yeas, that the falsh cards are that fast seems weird to me. That would require a speed rating of like 800x? Again, a real benchmarking tool will tel;l you more. explorer move/copy is rather unreliable IMO.
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:30 AM
  • I would have to agree I just looked at the flash cards and right on them it says 30mbs? I do know it transferred over 20 gig pretty fast thou !!! I just transferred about 700 gig from external hd to external hd took a few hours. I do think all is well just wondered what controls speeds. Thanks Mike
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 11:54 AM
  • use performance monitor to monitor...add counters...logical disk…

guess, due to the write-in speed..

Best,

Howtodo

Monday, March 3, 2014 2:20 PM